Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recover windows files
Hi all. Another new guy here, 3 days on Mint 19.3 live on a flash drive. I have no doubt that the answer I need is posted somewhere on the entire internet/web, and I AM searching, not just being lazy. Here's my plea for help:

I am on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B52 something. Win 10 became unbootable (While running Malwarebytes premium, so beware!). None of the refresh, repair, restore things worked. I can't even tell if these failed repair efforts wiped out all my windoze files, or not. I hope not. I bought a cheap laptop to run winders on, because I need to run a vinyl cutter program (Silhouette Studio), and there is no Linux alternative, that I can find. I used the new computer to create a Mint 19.3 live flash drive, in hopes of rescuing my old win 10 files, before I do a real Linux install, which I think would wipe out all my files. I have tried looking at the partitions from the Mint desktop, but I am unable to find any of my old pics, etc. .All folders say empty.  Is  there a trick to making win files visible in Mint?
   I will not be returning to Win anything, except to run my essential, non Linux compatible programs. BTW, I have read that Studio will not run in WINE. Will anyone tell a LM19.3, three day veteran, how to make my old pic files visible, so I can save them elsewhere, and get on with Linux?
   Thanks for any help, Howard
I assume you're booting off the usb stick on the trashed laptop. Nothing shows in the mounted Win. HD ? I remember a Win 10 update on some rolling win. 10 updated trashed users files but it was corrected but too late for the first roll-out ppl. That was some time ago. You have any external backups ? I wonder if malware-bytes could have thought your data was malware and Quarantined them ? weird stuff I know. If you don't get anywhere a safe bet would be to PULL the old HD. out and put in an SSD , put linux on that (it will boot/run/use less power too.) I did it.; works great. keep the old one around for later troubleshooting and recovery ; get a USB HD adapter to read the old HD. I got one and it even supports IDE ! That way you can ask someone here that REALLY knows what to do Wink
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
Thanks Rick. Windows forced, continuous, updates (No longer optional) is, no doubt, what killed my computer. That is why I'll never use MS crap again, except for the situation I mentioned, Silhouette Studio vinyl cutter software, for which there is no Linux alternative, at least that I am adept enough to use. My problem with Malwarebytes, which I bought, and trusted for years, is that, when I tried to get support from them for this issue, they refused to allow me on their tech support page unless I accepted cookies from them. They give you a yes or no choice, as most pages do, but if you select no, the support page slams shut. Outrageous! That's a whole thing with me, and I have never been kicked off any web page, much less as a support request from a long time Premium customer. They also claim to have had some sort of "Problem" with mbam, but they never contacted me, or provided a fix. Along with windows, I will never speak well of mbam again.
    So, I don't know if a windows partition, or files, are different from Linux ones, or not. I was thinking about a new HD, as you suggested, just in case there are retrievable pictures on the old drive. Good call, and thanks again.
Good to hear from you. Yes windows is NTFS partitions and Linux is ext4.(not prone to fragmenting)
you will need to go to Linux school ..Wink here are some sites to start from.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoryWpk...CJul9KBdyw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6gPGh...1vaFCAsvmQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP2bshA...NrdJvZEQzw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQKHvK...vUrVtJYnUA
Lots of linux info out there.. google til you drop .
Gnucash is in the software centrer,
most linux programs go thru a 'verified' software centre so you can be sure there is no virus or malware in them.
best regards --rick--
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
If you're comfortable enough to try the terminal, there are recovery programs like TestDisk or it's companion PhotoRec. 

(EDIT:  I haven't tried PhotoRec, but it's my understanding that it's designed to work with corrupted filesytems, so you may want to look into that if TestDisk fails to recover your data.)

https://www.ezeelinux.com/talk/showthread.php?tid=903

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmbgwyl0EEg

If I recall correctly, he uses a separate dock to mount the old hard drive in his demo, but you should be able to use a live USB to boot the old drive, connect online, install TestDisk in the live environment, and scan the old drive.

Make sure to copy any recovered files to an external device.  I wouldn't recommend copying recovered files to the live USB unless you created it with persistence; otherwise, anything saved there will not show up the next time you reboot the live USB.  Also, I would stick to copying recovered files first, and not try to use TestDisk or another app to repair the old drive until you have successfully recovered what you can; otherwise, you might overwrite your data.     

Good luck!
Thank you Eurus. I looked up, and downloaded,  the programs you pointed me to, and I think they may be my best hope of saving anything from the jaws of windows destruction. Sadly, any recovery, or backup I may have had was/is on the destroyed HD. My fault for trusting MS. Never again. As Rick suggested, I'm going to replace the HD so I can install Linux, and get on with learning, and I'll attack the problem when I know enough to attempt using those programs. I'm not there yet. Thanks for taking the time to help. H
I've used PhotoRec on Linux systems but not on win.(not sure about that) I've had some success depending on how bad i messed up or tinkered before I used PhotoRec . In any case set up a backup plan. i use Timeshift that comes or is available with many distros and Joe's XBT here available as a .deb package. works very nice.. Use that old Win. HD as external BU ;once your done with it. I came from Cassette tape on my old Adam so I'm kind of backup paranoid (careful)
Wink --rick--
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
Your sad experience reinforces the importance of backing up your data. If you had a backup of that drive (two backups would have been even better), you probably wouldn't have lost your data.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
(02-02-2020, 07:43 PM)Lady Fitzgerald Wrote: Your sad experience reinforces the importance of backing up your data. If you had a backup of that drive (two backups would have been even better), you probably wouldn't have lost your data.

Well, can't argue with that, eh? H

So, got a 1tb Western HD, got it installed, booted from the live FD, hit the install and the automatic choices, and all seemed well. However, the HD install  wouldn't boot. Just got to a black screen with a initramfs prompt. No clue what to do with that, so I'm going to make another live flash drive, and try again tomorrow. Not going to go back to windows, but not doing any linux tonight, either. All comments, or ideas, welcome. I'll post what happens next. H
A new live boot usb is a good plan. Do a checksum of your ISO just to be sure (not necessary but ..nice). The SHA will be on the mint site and you can generate one from your d/l ISO ; if they match you have a good d/l. More important when you re-install delete old partitions first (because they were prob. created and left from the first install, then proceed /w the install. Also to be sure to only have the 1 TB. and the USB plugged in ; unplug any other drives. (a Grub bootloader thing).
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2