Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRAZIES IN THE COMMENTS SECTION
I’ve been making YouTube videos for a long time now and the comment section is always a source of amusement and very often frustration. The last vid I posted was one in which I announced the publication of a new collection of BASH scripts. Go to the bottom of the BASH Scripts page at ezeelinux.com and you’ll see links to the GitHub repository and the video. This video is aimed at more advanced users who are interested in BASH and creating their own Linux experience with it. Therefore, I didn’t get a huge amount of views on this one but I did get a lot of comments. 

There are certain types of comments that recur and I always try to anticipate them while I’m narrating a video. I try and answer the questions before they are asked but I can’t think of everything and people come up with new twists all the time. There are some pretty predictable ones that come up no matter what I say, though… Let’s take a look a three of them. We shall leave out names to protect the innocent and the guilty.

Example 1: The Flamer

In the video, I showed a script that automatically removes Firefox from Debian and Ubuntu based Linux distros and replaces it with Google Chrome. I make no apologies about being a Google Chrome user. It is the fastest, most stable and most compatible cross-platform web browser there is. Yes, you can argue that Google is an evil blood-sucking corporation with a monopoly on the internet that shamelessly siphons off user information at every turn. Yes, Google Chrome is proprietary even though it’s based on the Open Source Chromium browser. All true. Here’s the thing, though; I don’t care. Since I am paid advertising royalties from Google I technically work for them and they already know everything about me because I had to fill out the tax forms. The have my SSN, bank account number, current address, phone number and much more so why should I care about the mostly anonymous crap they take when I use their web browser?

I didn’t say anything about any of that in the vid – I just showed how the script technically worked. Well, one viewer just couldn’t take it I guess and jumped up in the comments to ask me why I would want to remove Firefox and replace it with Chrome when it obviously should be the other way around, in his opinion, of course.  I kindly explained that I didn’t care for Firefox and would rather use Chrome.

“What do you mean ‘I don’t care for Firefox?’ I don’t understand,” he said.

Thinking that there might be some language barrier issue happening here because ”I don’t care for” is an old Southern US expression that is a nice way of saying “I hate this shoot” and not everyone around the world would appreciate its subtlety, I went on and answered with essentially a short version of what I just stated above. Still not satisfied, he wrote:

“You’re still not telling me WHY you don’t like Firefox”  --then it got into what he really wanted to rant about all along--- “I bet you hate Duck Duck Go too. You just don’t care about privacy and you’re still not telling me WHY!”

I’m not making this up… Well, my solution was to send one last reply that said something like, “I DON’T LIKE FIREFOX!!! Got it? Have a nice life...” and then I deleted the whole damn thread. He obviously had notifications on so he’ll get the message. By this time, other agitators were getting in on the action and I just didn’t want to deal with an all out fame war.

While this is laughable on the surface it’s just a bit disturbing too. Open Source is all about choices and you can use or not use whatever software you like. Some folks just can’t handle that, though. They see everything in terms of Right and Wrong. If your choices don’t happen to be their choices then you’re automatically wrong. 99.9 per cent of all on-line flame wars start with one person like that. For me, the whole thing has gotten really old. Use whatever you want and leave me alone! 

Example 2: Captain Obvious

Several of the scripts I showed in the video rely on an old venerable application called Gdebi. It’s used to install .deb packages in Debian and Ubuntu based distros. It hasn’t been shipped by default with Ubuntu for many years but I still like it for both the command line and for point-and-click installs of .deb files. The main reason I use it is because it is very good at working out dependencies and alerting you if they are not able to be met before it installs a package. I am well aware that there are other ways to do exactly the same thing and you don’t have to install Gdebi but I prefer it anyway. I pointed this out in the video, almost to the word, but still someone just had to post in the comments something like, “You don’t need Gdebi, you can just blah, blah blah...”

Uhhhh…. Didn’t I say that? Why did this person waste the time to say it again? While comments like this are harmless and I usually just leave them in place without reply they certainly don’t add anything useful to the conversation.

Example 3. Nitpicker Extraordinaire

One thing I have learned about the YouTube audience is that they’ll latch on to the strangest little things in videos. Everything from typos to slight variances in pronunciation to random noises in the background will get comments. This is true even if they have nothing at all to do with the intended point of the video. I can usually count on at least one such comment each time I post and this last video was no exception. 

This time around it was the fact that I left the GitHub default downloadable file container as a ZIP file.  Honestly, I never put much thought into it before. that's just how GitHub works…

The comment went like. “All scripts for UNIX should be distributed in tar or tar.gz files.”  My reply went something like, “This is Linux and it really doesn’t matter.”  At this point it went from a regular Nitpick to being Nitpicker Extraordinaire because they launched into a paragraph long explanation starting with Linux being a work-alike of UNIX and therefore it should be considered as such. Then they went on with all the options GitHub offers for container files and how ZIP is mainly for Windows and therefore shouldn’t be used on Linux. This sort of response is kinda like The Flamer except it’s more like an OCD fit or someone who has a pet peeve that is only tangentially related to the video but just has to get it out anyway… My reply was short and sweet: “LOL Like I said, it really doesn’t matter to me but I hope you feel better now.”

While I honestly appreciate all the comments I get on Stoical Media, I have to say that most are repetitive and useless. There was a time when thoughtful conversations could be found on forums and even in the cesspool that is the YouTube comment section. For some unknown reason, these days that just doesn’t happen and if a conversation does start then it usually ends up in a flame war. A lot of folks just post something like “Great video” or “Thanks for sharing” and while those are nice they don’t stimulate any provocative discourse.

I think it could be because a lot of those thoughtful people just don’t bother anymore. No one wants to share anything in an environment where they feel like they will be attacked… The Trolls have put that into everyone's head by now. So, it’s left to The Flamers, Capetian Obvious’es and the Nitpickers Extraordinaire. 

So much for the grand human experiment that was Social Media.
-- Your Fearless Leader!

One of the disadvantages of the internet and social media is the anonymity it provides, which enables every loonie to summon enough courage to creep out from under his rock, vent his rage or his dogma in public, and then sneak back without regard to consequences. Look how many people hide behind pseudonyms when writing in public. It's why the comments section of Youtube and the like are worthless.

When such encounters had to be done face to face there was more restraint, and more consideration for those of opposing views, resulting in a better chance of rational discussion rather than a shouting match. It was a mark of civilised society. The lack of that courtesy in social media is a measure of the decline in our civilisation.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
yep, some folks just want to chat and express their own opinion...
kinda like this thread.

enjoy your day, it looks like it will be glorious here again!
Another comment that happens, I have seen many times myself on things I have done, is the: "This is junk I could do a better job!"

Okay. Great! Then do it and stop flapping your trap!

Plus there are the folks that just can't seem to understand when explaining a complex subject you break it into beginner and easier to understand concepts.  You do not start learning algebra with super complex equations.  No you start by learning very basic items then moving and building on previous ideas.

Well when making videos many advanced people want to jump all over an instructor/teacher/presenter with things like: "There is a better way" or "That isn't the most direct way." Blah blah.

One has to move their legs and hands, then learn how to crawl, then learn how to walk, then learn how to jog/run.  *Thanks captain obvious* Although that is the issue some just can't seem to understand that concept.  Yeah you may be an professional or expert but not all the world is and at some point you were a noob.

So many people really don't want to learn.  That has become very obvious to me.  They don't want to see other ways of doing things.  I agree there is often not a right and wrong way especially in computers.  Short of electrical pathways and such software often has multiple and sometimes dozens or hundreds of ways of doing something.

In all honesty I don't even have a problem with Facebook and Google persay.  No I don't care for them and Google is evil and a monopoly.  That part is true.  I do wish there was more competition.  However Google created a pond and if you want to "swim" in it you must learn to play by their rules.  If you don't like it that is fine don't use their pond.

Now, again, Google should be broken up IMO however just because a company spies on you in and of itself is like: "so".  I don't like like Alexa, Google Voice, Siri, etc.  Guess what?  I don't use them.  Shocker!

I see no issue in discussing and pointing out what a company does and then letting people decide if they want to accept that trade off or not?  It is a personal call.  Sure from a privacy or security stand point it might be a bad idea and again pointing that out is fine.  Still if people know that and then actively choose to shrug or say I know but I think the service is still worth it then okay.  I mean let's face it Google makes many services very easy to use like Gmail and Youtube.

There is a convenience and I get it.  I get the advantages of Check 21 and doing banking on a phone, using a smartphone to unlock your doors, or Alexa to control the lights, etc, etc, etc.  It is all very convenient and pretty cool technologies.  However it is not for me.  I am not doing any of that as I understand the privacy and security nightmares.  Still I don't think people who use them are evil or "wrong".  Well maybe I think they are a little "crazy" ;-) but at the end of the day it is a personal choice.

I am not out to condemn people.  I point out to those that will listen on that subject the pitfalls and then say whatever technology works for you then so be it.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
hey! leave my comments alone! just to make sure: everyone understood this was a joke and none of the above comments are mine?

To give my opinion on the matter, even if i am not posting any videos on youtube, i grew up in a world without internet, a world without even cellphones, and i this kind of world you had to make social interactions in face to face. In this kind of circonstances you had to be polite and respectful otherwise you had, best case scenario a fight, worst case scenario you became an outcast and you kiss your social life good bye.

But nowadays, with the self-called social network and internet opening the world for everyone to everyone you have no consequences to, what i gonna call, "mad" behaviors. So many have integrated the fact they can miss-respect people, they can humiliating people and other "mad" behaviors and suffer no consequences. Or worst case scenario get excluded for the forum/web site just cause they had nasty words, but other than that they pretty much can be boneheads(*) and face no consequences.

Sometimes i feel a lot of nostalgia of the long lost times with no internet and no cellphones.

@celverside:
I never consider the content producer side of the thing before. i always sicked with the customer side of the things. For instances sometimes i look for some specific thing, but i do know the basics, i just want the medium or advance solution, not a full course teaching me the ABC all over again.
You know it is not a matter of learning or not, it is a matter of learning specific things from a specific level.
i am not judging, i understand newbies are far more numerous and you guys need some stats so youtube algorithm is happy with you and doesn't send you to hell for eternity. This is why with my humble "linux advance newbie" knowledge i ended up not looking for linux stuff on the videos anymore, but searching in the net into websites with letters.
But i keep watching some linux youtubers in a supporter way because this nice people deserve it.

(*) i am not a native English speaker and i look up in the internet for a no nasty work and it came up with this one (among others) so i hope it is fine to use it. If it has some OP meaning in it, it is by lack of control over the languages and please accept my apologies for this slide.
(01-29-2020, 11:31 AM)EzeeLinux Wrote: I’ve been making YouTube videos for a long time now and the comment section is always a source of amusement and very often frustration. The last vid I posted was one in which I announced the publication of a new collection of BASH scripts. Go to the bottom of the BASH Scripts page at ezeelinux.com and you’ll see links to the GitHub repository and the video. This video is aimed at more advanced users who are interested in BASH and creating their own Linux experience with it. Therefore, I didn’t get a huge amount of views on this one but I did get a lot of comments. 

There are certain types of comments that recur and I always try to anticipate them while I’m narrating a video. I try and answer the questions before they are asked but I can’t think of everything and people come up with new twists all the time. There are some pretty predictable ones that come up no matter what I say, though… Let’s take a look a three of them. We shall leave out names to protect the innocent and the guilty.

Example 1: The Flamer

In the video, I showed a script that automatically removes Firefox from Debian and Ubuntu based Linux distros and replaces it with Google Chrome. I make no apologies about being a Google Chrome user. It is the fastest, most stable and most compatible cross-platform web browser there is. Yes, you can argue that Google is an evil blood-sucking corporation with a monopoly on the internet that shamelessly siphons off user information at every turn. Yes, Google Chrome is proprietary even though it’s based on the Open Source Chromium browser. All true. Here’s the thing, though; I don’t care. Since I am paid advertising royalties from Google I technically work for them and they already know everything about me because I had to fill out the tax forms. The have my SSN, bank account number, current address, phone number and much more so why should I care about the mostly anonymous crap they take when I use their web browser?

I didn’t say anything about any of that in the vid – I just showed how the script technically worked. Well, one viewer just couldn’t take it I guess and jumped up in the comments to ask me why I would want to remove Firefox and replace it with Chrome when it obviously should be the other way around, in his opinion, of course.  I kindly explained that I didn’t care for Firefox and would rather use Chrome.

“What do you mean ‘I don’t care for Firefox?’ I don’t understand,” he said.

Thinking that there might be some language barrier issue happening here because ”I don’t care for” is an old Southern US expression that is a nice way of saying “I hate this shoot” and not everyone around the world would appreciate its subtlety, I went on and answered with essentially a short version of what I just stated above. Still not satisfied, he wrote:

“You’re still not telling me WHY you don’t like Firefox”  --then it got into what he really wanted to rant about all along--- “I bet you hate Duck Duck Go too. You just don’t care about privacy and you’re still not telling me WHY!”

I’m not making this up… Well, my solution was to send one last reply that said something like, “I DON’T LIKE FIREFOX!!! Got it? Have a nice life...” and then I deleted the whole damn thread. He obviously had notifications on so he’ll get the message. By this time, other agitators were getting in on the action and I just didn’t want to deal with an all out fame war.

While this is laughable on the surface it’s just a bit disturbing too. Open Source is all about choices and you can use or not use whatever software you like. Some folks just can’t handle that, though. They see everything in terms of Right and Wrong. If your choices don’t happen to be their choices then you’re automatically wrong. 99.9 per cent of all on-line flame wars start with one person like that. For me, the whole thing has gotten really old. Use whatever you want and leave me alone! 

Example 2: Captain Obvious

Several of the scripts I showed in the video rely on an old venerable application called Gdebi. It’s used to install .deb packages in Debian and Ubuntu based distros. It hasn’t been shipped by default with Ubuntu for many years but I still like it for both the command line and for point-and-click installs of .deb files. The main reason I use it is because it is very good at working out dependencies and alerting you if they are not able to be met before it installs a package. I am well aware that there are other ways to do exactly the same thing and you don’t have to install Gdebi but I prefer it anyway. I pointed this out in the video, almost to the word, but still someone just had to post in the comments something like, “You don’t need Gdebi, you can just blah, blah blah...”

Uhhhh…. Didn’t I say that? Why did this person waste the time to say it again? While comments like this are harmless and I usually just leave them in place without reply they certainly don’t add anything useful to the conversation.

Example 3. Nitpicker Extraordinaire

One thing I have learned about the YouTube audience is that they’ll latch on to the strangest little things in videos. Everything from typos to slight variances in pronunciation to random noises in the background will get comments. This is true even if they have nothing at all to do with the intended point of the video. I can usually count on at least one such comment each time I post and this last video was no exception. 

This time around it was the fact that I left the GitHub default downloadable file container as a ZIP file.  Honestly, I never put much thought into it before. that's just how GitHub works…

The comment went like. “All scripts for UNIX should be distributed in tar or tar.gz files.”  My reply went something like, “This is Linux and it really doesn’t matter.”  At this point it went from a regular Nitpick to being Nitpicker Extraordinaire because they launched into a paragraph long explanation starting with Linux being a work-alike of UNIX and therefore it should be considered as such. Then they went on with all the options GitHub offers for container files and how ZIP is mainly for Windows and therefore shouldn’t be used on Linux. This sort of response is kinda like The Flamer except it’s more like an OCD fit or someone who has a pet peeve that is only tangentially related to the video but just has to get it out anyway… My reply was short and sweet: “LOL Like I said, it really doesn’t matter to me but I hope you feel better now.”

While I honestly appreciate all the comments I get on Stoical Media, I have to say that most are repetitive and useless. There was a time when thoughtful conversations could be found on forums and even in the cesspool that is the YouTube comment section. For some unknown reason, these days that just doesn’t happen and if a conversation does start then it usually ends up in a flame war. A lot of folks just post something like “Great video” or “Thanks for sharing” and while those are nice they don’t stimulate any provocative discourse.

I think it could be because a lot of those thoughtful people just don’t bother anymore. No one wants to share anything in an environment where they feel like they will be attacked… The Trolls have put that into everyone's head by now. So, it’s left to The Flamers, Capetian Obvious’es and the Nitpickers Extraordinaire. 

So much for the grand human experiment that was Social Media.
Big Grin 
I'm Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Hey Joe,

I wouldn't worry too much about some people's comments...you'll end up having a Nervous Break-Down or a room in the Nut House. [Image: smileys-sad-445800.gif] 

Some people's only purpose in life is to put Crap on others [Image: smileys-angry-006606.gif]  and don't have the intelligence to create a Video or write a Tutorial.   Big Grin
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]
(02-13-2020, 05:49 AM)bob777 Wrote: Hey Joe,

I wouldn't worry too much about some people's comments...you'll end up having a Nervous Break-Down or a room in the Nut House. [Image: smileys-sad-445800.gif] 

Some people's only purpose in life is to put Crap on others [Image: smileys-angry-006606.gif]  and don't have the intelligence to create a Video or write a Tutorial.   Big Grin

I don't worry... I don't take it personal. This is a joke. I'm making fun of the crazy comments, not complaining about them. Smile
-- Your Fearless Leader!

(02-13-2020, 11:20 AM)EzeeLinux Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 05:49 AM)bob777 Wrote: Hey Joe,

I don't worry... I don't take it personal. This is a joke. I'm making fun of the crazy comments, not complaining about them. Smile

I know you don't worry or take it personally when someone puts crap on you and so you shouldn't...as you've been making Videos for a long time and nasty comments flow off like water off a ducks back.  Wink

Unfortunately that's Social Media for you...anyone can hide behind a keyboard and say whatever they like. [Image: smileys-angry-233092.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]