Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtualbox Error
I tried following along with Joe's VirtualBox video, specifically, "An Introduction to VirtualBox".

My host computer is a Linux Mint 19.2/19.3 Cinnamon.

I downloaded the latest version of VirtualBox from Oracle, and the Extension Packs and all seemed to install well.  I'm using VirtualBox 6.1, that I downloaded as a .deb file and installed with gdebi. This is not the repository version.

I'm trying to add Zorin OS Core as a virtual machine.  I followed the procedures Joe does for installing Ubuntu as  virtual machine.  But, when I try and boot to Zorin, I'm getting the error message:

"The VirtuaBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox.  The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful"...blah, blah, blah..

Not surprising though, very little of anything I do with Linux seems to work correctly.  Being a veteran Windows user, I just always feel that there is something I'm missing, when it comes to simple operations, especially installing programs, in Linux.
Did you make the zorin vbox or did you download one that was already made?
I ask because the only time I have got that message is when I went to use a vbox file I had made on one computer and went to open it on a different computer that had an older version of vbox installed.
(01-12-2020, 09:31 PM)spudnuts Wrote: Did you make the zorin vbox or did you download one that was already made?
I ask because the only time I have got that message is when I went to use a vbox file I had made on one computer and went to open it on a different computer that had an older version of vbox installed.

I downloaded Zorin OS Core from the Zorin site.  I don't think it really matters, the error message indicate the the issue is with VirtualBox, not with booting Zorin.  But, I'm not sure of that, neither.

I guess I could try another distro of Linux as a virtual machine, but, I don't think it'd make a difference.
I got it.

I had to not only delete, apt-get remove virtualbox, I had to remove the package virtualbox-dkms, then, virtualbox works just fine.

Well, almost fine.  I've gotten Windows7 to boot up in a virtual machine, and Ubuntu, but I'm having problems with Zorin.  It just isn't booting up from its .iso file.  But, I'll figure that out.

-Mike
Redownload the file it may be a bad download.