Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with converting HTML to Linux
First an apology for not being part of the forum for several months. I spent most 2019 in hospital.

I am a newsman, ergo, I write -- alot. When I was offered an online local newspaper recently I jumped at the chance to get back into the game. It has, however, turned into a bit of a nightmare. The software used, not the news or ads end, but the inability to process ads properly or to design pages with images.  Seems the previous owner wrote the program in HTML and says it works just fine. 

I'm not that familiar with HTML so I;m actively reading about the coding. 

There's also a problem with the server which when used keeps telling me all uploads or downloads are being processed in clear. No ftp over tls security. Again, I'm being told by the previous owner it is secure. I've contacted the server people but they have not responded, and I have feeling I may have to change servers. 

Is there a Linux converter for HTML or is there a Linux software available to publish an online newspaper?

Your replies will be greatly appreciated.
(01-09-2020, 06:16 AM)Bob3 Wrote: First an apology for not being part of the forum for several months. I spent most 2019 in hospital.

I am a newsman, ergo, I write -- alot. When I was offered an online local newspaper recently I jumped at the chance to get back into the game. It has, however, turned into a bit of a nightmare. The software used, not the news or ads end, but the inability to process ads properly or to design pages with images.  Seems the previous owner wrote the program in HTML and says it works just fine. 

I'm not that familiar with HTML so I;m actively reading about the coding. 

There's also a problem with the server which when used keeps telling me all uploads or downloads are being processed in clear. No ftp over tls security. Again, I'm being told by the previous owner it is secure. I've contacted the server people but they have not responded, and I have feeling I may have to change servers. 

Is there a Linux converter for HTML or is there a Linux software available to publish an online newspaper?

Your replies will be greatly appreciated.
Try looking at Wordpress
I think you should know a few things which might make your situation more clear. Mostly that HTML is not used to write any programs; It is a markup language, used to tell the webbrowser what is should display. Whether you write it yourself or use a program to generate it, HTML will always be used for your website.

You probably want to use a generator, as writing HTML manually can get rather tedious. Roughly speaking, there are two kinds of generators: Static ones, which generate the HTML on your computer, so you simply upload it, or dynamic ones, which will generate the HTML "live" whenever someone is accessing your site. Both kinds come in many forms and versions and which one you choose is up to you, depending on what you think will solve your task the best. Note that you can server dynamic content with both kinds, if you include some JavaScript and maybe some additional software in the background.

I personally prefer static generators, so I will not recommend wordpress, but rather something like HUGO, which is generally easy to use and has a ton of nice themes you can choose from.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Thank you for explaining the situation learly for me. Will check out Hugo.