Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Preferred Program for PDFs
I'm running Linux Mint 19.2. I've tried going to Preferences/Preferred Applications and changing the one for PDF from Document Viewer to PDF Studio Pro 2019. I can change it but it will not stick and reverts back to Document Viewer. How can I get PDF Studio to stick?

Edit: Never mind. I kinda sorta lost my temper and deleted the default document viewer (after making sure I could reinstall it). Problem solved.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
For future reference I just right click it in the file manager and say:
open with other application,
choose the program I want to open it with,
make sure the box that says remember this application for xxxxxxxx.filetype has a checkmark in it,
and that changes the default program to open it with.

ps: my file manager is caja
(12-27-2019, 06:21 PM)spudnuts Wrote: For future reference I just right click it in the file manager and say:
open with other application,
choose the program I want to open it with,
make sure the box that says remember this application for xxxxxxxx.filetype has a checkmark in it,
and that changes the default program to open it with.

ps: my file manager is caja

I did exactly that but the setting still wouldn't "stick" (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). I've since noticed that the setting to keep the touch pad disabled is now reverting back to enabled (I detest touch pads!). Next week, when things are not so bat guano crazy, I'm going to yank the SSD out of this computer ("sneakernet" backup?  Wink  ), replace it with a fresh one, and start all over again and hope like crazy that I don't repeat the mistakes I've been making on this installation. At least, despite as big of a pain the process has been so far, I'm slowly learning faster than I had thought I would and I'm already reasonably functional on this computer.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
(12-27-2019, 07:10 PM)Lady Fitzgerald Wrote: I did exactly that but the setting still wouldn't "stick" (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). I've since noticed that the setting to keep the touch pad disabled is now reverting back to enabled (I detest touch pads!).

Sounds like bug somewhere in the gsettings scheme.

If this persists in your next installation, you might want to consider downgrading to an earlier version or maybe using Ubuntu instead.
(12-28-2019, 05:51 AM)leon.p Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 07:10 PM)Lady Fitzgerald Wrote: I did exactly that but the setting still wouldn't "stick" (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). I've since noticed that the setting to keep the touch pad disabled is now reverting back to enabled (I detest touch pads!).

Sounds like bug somewhere in the gsettings scheme.

If this persists in your next installation, you might want to consider downgrading to an earlier version or maybe using Ubuntu instead.

I agree it's a bug (most likely due to ignorant operator error). I just don't know enough yet (and, considering my age, may die before I do) to know where.  Fortunately, a fresh install in Mint is infinitely easier and faster that it would be in Windows, especially when it comes to installing updates. If the inability to get the setting to stick for that one program persists after the reinstall and it's the only problem that remains, removing the default program again is a quick and easy way to deal with it. At least, with a lot of help from you all, I have a Linux machine that I can use (with minor problems) instead of a Win 7 machine until I can find time to do more horsing around. I'm learning how to install and use Linux a lot faster than I thought I would (never mind that I still have a looooong way to go.

Curiously enough, the touch pad has been staying disabled since I complained about it. Maybe I scared it (yeah, I know, wishful thinking).
Jeannie