Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
virtualbox for win 10 home
sorry I forgot to show where I got that info

I sure was wanting to try Linux Mint (lol)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtual...le-hyper-v

re
j1m_b0b
I can't say for MS but if you are just trying to see what/how linuxmint works make a live dvd or usb stick and try it out.
(12-26-2019, 04:51 AM)spudnuts Wrote: I can't say for MS but if you are just trying to see what/how linuxmint works make a live dvd or usb stick and try it out.

in reply I find plenty of how to's IF you are using a linux machine(op sys) , as of yet I not found 1 about how to do that in a windows opsys
that tells how to and how to run it

if someone knows of that info , I would really like to KNOW
maybe a youtube vid would be nice as I am better at visual inst
thanks in advance
hello,

What spudnuts was trying to say is that you can use the live environment. In many linux distros you have a live environment in which the iso will boot. You can browse the web, you can play videos, you can play music, you can check if all your drivers are working etc etc.
In those live environments you can also install the distro. They are made for that actualy but it wont keep you for trying every thing (and more stuff) i mentioned before.

Now the question might be "how in the world can i access this live environment?". To access the live environment you need a bootable usb stick. I heard that in windows people use rufus software to do that.
Reboot, access the bios, put your usb in, set the bios to boot from the usb and not your hard drive/ssd and it will boot into the live environment. Make all your tests BUT nothing is persistent and if you install anything at all it would be forgotten next time you will boot into live environment.

What are the advantages? Simply see live how linux and your machine work together, because a virtual machin is always slower. This is also a little slower but faster than virtual machins.

But i don't know exactly is this will suit you, what are you trying to test exactly? Drivers? presence of certain software? something else?
Jim.

You have started two threads with identical titles asking about Windows virtual box in a Linux forum. What is it you are trying to achieve?
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
(12-29-2019, 05:24 PM)cliffcoggin Wrote: Jim.

You have started two threads with identical titles asking about Windows virtual box in a Linux forum. What is it you are trying to achieve?

sorry Sir for my sins I actually did not Understand I was starting two different threads
I have sent a request to the moderator about How To remove my mistake
I will try not to make it again     promise
(12-29-2019, 07:30 AM)Tuxinho Wrote: hello,

What spudnuts was trying to say is that you can use the live environment. In many linux distros you have a live environment in which the iso will boot. You can browse the web, you can play videos, you can play music, you can check if all your drivers are working etc etc.
In those live environments you can also install the distro. They are made for that actualy but it wont keep you for trying every thing (and more stuff) i mentioned before.

Now the question might be "how in the world can i access this live environment?". To access the live environment you need a bootable usb stick. I heard that in windows people use rufus software to do that.
Reboot, access the bios, put your usb in, set the bios to boot from the usb and not your hard drive/ssd and it will boot into the live environment. Make all your tests BUT nothing is persistent and if you install anything at all it would be forgotten next time you will boot into live environment.

What are the advantages? Simply see live how linux and your machine work together, because a virtual machin is always slower. This is also a little slower but faster than virtual machins.

But i don't know exactly is this will suit you, what are you trying to test exactly? Drivers? presence of certain software? something else?
Thanks I have made a "live usb with linuxmint- 19.3- cinnamon"
Here is the link that showed me how 
 https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tu...-windows#0
by the way I am on a laptop with windows 10 pro and the cpu (Intel ® Pentium® CPU B940 @ 2.00GHz  2.00GHz)   does not allow hyper V support(why I could not VM instead)
it took me a while to understand why I could not VM in windows 10 pro
thanks again for the suggestion
Jim.

OK I understand now you want to test your live USB. Windows and Hyper V or any other operating system are irrelevant to the matter. You need to be able to enter the computer BIOS menu, while the USB stick is plugged, and set it to start from USB instead of the internal hard drive. How exactly you get into BIOS varies from one computer to another. In mine I press F8 repeatedly during start up but yours is likely to be different. You will have to look up how yourself if nobody else can advise.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon