Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dual boot alternative
(12-29-2019, 06:39 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: ...i don't even know if windows has a live environment.

It has several, some kindasorta. The one I've used is Win PE, a stripped down version which comes in Win 7, Win 8, and Win 10 flavors (that I know of). Macrium Reflect uses Win PE with Macrium Reflect embedded for it's recovery drive system that can be installed on an optical disk or a USB thumb drive. Most full versions of Windows can be installed on bootable USB flash drives but it's not all that practical.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
ok im kinda thinking of going with ubuntu as i like the desktop layout even if it dont look much like the windows layout it does however look very similar to the raspian OS for the raspberry pi so my question is should i go with 18.04 or get 19.10 or wait for 20.04

thank you all for helping this newbie understand this stuff i truly appreciate it
So 19.10 is a short term support meaning it only gets support for 9 months. So in Jully 2020 it will not get any kind of updates and you will need to switch version. This is of course the short answer just to keep it simple Smile

About 18.04 and 20.04 they both are long term support, or LTS meaning that canonical (the company behind ubuntu) will support them for 5 years. Up till 2023 and 2025 respectively. Again short answer Smile

The first obvious conclusion is "i should go for the LTS so i don't have to upgrade my distro so often". This is not wrong, except that i understood that you want a gaming PC. In this case you will need drivers (or kernel modules) for your GPU. If your card is new you might want the latest drivers and this you will find inside the latest kernel. But if your card is a little bit old (let say a year or more) I guess you can install the 20.04 and live with it for the longest time.
You also have the option to add repos (or PPA in ubuntu) to add the latest drivers for your GPU. in case you wondering, here is every thing you need to know about PPA https://itsfoss.com/ppa-guide/

I only give you keys to different doors here, which one you gonna open is up to you Wink

BTW the AMD drivers are open source meaning they perform better in linux than NVidia drivers which are closed source. SO if you plan to live forever in linux you might want to consider at some point switching to AMD gear.
Well the decision was made for me as I did my research and found my WiFi adaptor was having issues on 18.04 for some others so I went for 19.10 and with a few teething probs I now have Ubuntu installed.
Now just to get my steel series apex 300 keyboard macros sorted