Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dual boot alternative
I see you have the same NVIDIA gtx 1050ti vid. card as I. I used to play WoW in Win10 on my desktop ; don't any-more and all my games are now native Linux or with Steam. I heard about the dual-boot nightmare or VM compatibility thing , so i just added a second HD and put Linux on it. They are cheap enough too. As i was new I set the boot drive in BIOS every time, but was not sure if win would mess the bootloader ; so I left the case open and plugged only one SATA in at a time. Still do that if I want to test other distros until i am very sure with boot-loaders.
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.3 , alts Arch ,Manjaro
follow STL , eznix ,distrotube
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
(12-23-2019, 06:58 PM)Merlin_of_Chaos Wrote: I have mine as a seperate desktop on windows so sounds like a seperate workspace would work just fine for me but I will test it with a live cd

Also is there any youtubers you all recommend? I watch every linux video joe does

Here's two more Linux YouTubers:

LearnLinuxTV (Good tutorials / reviews)

Chris Titus Tech (A little sensational sometimes)
Is there a way to create a persistent usb using a windows machine?
is this any help?
The way you asking i don't know if you want to make the linux live environment persistent or windows persistent.

EDIT:
BTW i don't even know if windows has a live environment.
Oh I want to make a linux persistent usb but all the guides I’ve found use a linux machine to make it but I have a windows machine.

Also can linux read the windows NTFS file system
I have used Unetbootin for several years. I use it in Ubuntu, but they offer it for mac and windows too. I have had great success with it. You can choose to add persistence so that it remembers the changes you make.

My Ubuntu 16.04 machine reads NTFS.

Richard

https://unetbootin.github.io/
Linux can read quite a few file systems but can not write to them all, but ntfs it is able to read and write.
Thanks guys
Sorry for the thousand questions but what linux distro is recommended for a gamer who is coming from windows? I see that linux mint has a task bar and start menu that is similar to windows but I also like Ubuntu with the dock any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
We are mixing concepts here. You actually not talking about distros but about desktop environments aka DE.
Distros are more about the package manager and mostly repositories aka repos. The package manager is the piece of software that takes care of installing, removing and updating your packages, the repo is the app store so to speak. Bear with me it will get interesting.

Now when people make a new distro they, in general stick with an existing one. For instance mint it is based on ubuntu and ubuntu it is based on debian which is a distro from scratch from 1993.
The difference between ubuntu and debian is the release cycle. Since 1993 (that is 27 years) debian has 10 versions released. That is more than two and half years per version and ubuntu release a new version every 6 month (*) so the repos have fresher softwares.

You can also find some distros without version release, they are rolling release because the repos is constantly updated with new software. You install it once and you will get the latest software versions. Including drivers.

Now in both version and rolling release you will have in the repos different DE. For instance cinnamon (the DE from mint) is available in different distros. XFCE and mate both have the same windows7 looking with the "start menu". The gnome dock you can find it in differents distro as well.

Now here is where things get really interesting and will finally answer your question. For a newbie freshly arriving from windows i would recommend cinnamon xfce or mate DE for the familiarity. About distros, for the same newbie i would recommend either ubuntu or mint (they are quite similar)
For a gamer, i probably would recommend a rolling distro (the reason is the fresh drivers) and build your desktop from the ground up. But before considering doing this you will need to be really familiar with the concept of package manager repos and mostly dot files aka config files. And not be afraid of CLI.

(*) ubuntu naming convention is the year dot the month of the release either .10 or .04 for April or October. Every other year they do a long terme support (LTS) the next one will be next April.