Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual boot Mint-Arch. here is some interesting (?) Story
Hello,

I own a laptop in which i installed linux mint in /dev/sda1. I set in sda4 the home partition and in sda3 the swap partition. The day i installed it i left the sda2 empty and unused.
In this unused partition i installed arch linux with the same home partition as sda4.

If i set up my partition like this is because it was my first arch linux experience and i was a little afraid.  I wanted some fall back distro. After month using it i have to admit this fear was unjustified but this is not the point.

Every thing was fine. So fine that i just log in mint once at week perhaps every other week just to do updates and leave it there.
Yesterday I did my mint updates and, as i mentioned in the first line it is a laptot, i forgot to plug it in the power plug. It is and old machin with a very poor battery life and the computer shut it self down by lack of power during the updates. Oh dear! 
i plugged it in, pressed the power button and, you guessed it: the boot loader was broken. No ideas how did that happened, and to be honest, it was not my concern at that point, i was much more worried  in how to fix the problem.

I knew there is a program in some ubuntu ppa to automatically fix grub2. It is called boot-repair. I couldn't remember the package name, but it took me only about a minute to find it. Isn't google a good friend? Big Grin 
Since the machin was "unbootable " (is this a word?) i used a CD with linux mint 18.3 i had around to boot to the live environment add the ppa and just ran the package. I rebooted and every thing was fine ... except it was not, this not some Disney film with an happy ending Tongue

When you run boot-repair it might prompt some commands for you to type in a terminal or some menu with options to select from. At some point it asked me where it should install grub. I had the choice between /dev/sda and /dev/sda1. I did a rookie mistake and i selected the /dev/sda1. At this point in time i did not realize how it was a mistake, only after reboot i noticed that grub was totally ignoring my arch linux. It disappeared from grub's eyes. At this point i said all the nasty words i know (*) and after the few seconds of panic i remembered that when i first installed arch i had to run the "upade-grub" command in my terminal to force grub to realize it is a new distro there. But it did not work. It is at this point in time i realized my rookie mistake. New moment of self pity and i remember about grub-customiser. It is a package i already used. With it ou can choice to hide grub menu and boot directly to your distro of choice among others possibilities. Realy convinient package indeed when you dual boot between distros.
I just had to check in the options "check for other os" and my /dev/sda2 was there again.

Now this is the actual happy ending. And i like to add that if i am telling all of this is because i liked to share my experience. It might inspire someone or help someone in the futur.

Thant you for reading.

(*) this phrase is just for comedy purpose, of course i did not said al of them but just a few... yes it is humour again.
Could it have been restored from a Timeshift snapshot run from a live USB?
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
It should but in my case i couldn't. Let me explain why:

This machine is set up so arch (sda2) boots by default. As i mentioned i barely log in mint, and when i do i just do updates. As you know timeshift has a cron job on the top of every hour to check (*) for snapshots and the problem is i rarely stay time enough to give time to timeshift to do his check.

But i changed my update "script" to add in the first line the timeshift check. So i will be sure avoid future problems.

(*) actual command "sudo timeshift --check"
I read of so many instances of spoilt OS that could have been easily resolved with Timeshift if it had been allowed to do its job.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Don't worry i learned my lesson and now in my update script i have the "sudo timeshift --check" in the first line. Actually it is the second line because the first is the shabang Smile
And i recommend to every one who use an update script to do the same.

With timeshift i would solve the problem in maybe 5 minutes. The way i had to do it i took me about 30 minutes. So yes, timeshift is realy good indeed.

The funny part is in my arch partition timeshift was one of the first packages i installed in my machine. And i don't do updates without checking if timeshift has down his check. But for some reason in my mint partition i just don't care, as i told: i not even using it anymore. I could even remove it, the only reason why i keep it around is because i am too lazy to re install the all machine. Not a glorious reason at all i have to say.