Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux on HP Pavilion 15
I am running Fedora on AMD E1-2100 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics. Its ok but the playback of video seems slow (it has HDMI port so i suppose it can hand HD video), it has 2 cpus, i am not sure if its just the notebook or my choice of distro. Cheers
Do you mean video playback in a browser or video playback in general?

Currently neither Firefox nor Chrome ship with hardware accelerated playback enabled.
If you are running the latest Fedora with the Gnome 3 desktop environment, then your little machine is hopelessly underpowered, I'm afraid. In this case I would switch to a more lightweight DE or even a plain window manager, like Openbox.

But even then, a CPU with two cores, clocked at 1GHz, and a GPU with a maximum clock of 300 MHz, that isn't exactly the ideal computer for watching HD videos in good quality and speed.

Unfortunately, the presence of an HDMI port is not much of an indicator for certain capabilities either. Almost every PC in the last decade or so has one of those.
(12-10-2019, 02:08 PM)leon.p Wrote: Do you mean video playback in a browser or video playback in general?

Currently neither Firefox nor Chrome ship with hardware accelerated playback enabled.

Well the video playback like in playing a movie. Its a good point about video playback in the browser, i haven't  tried it.  I will try it out. Otherwise the machine works real fine.
(12-10-2019, 05:24 PM)radolkin Wrote: If you are running the latest Fedora with the Gnome 3 desktop environment, then your little machine is hopelessly underpowered, I'm afraid. In this case I would switch to a more lightweight DE or even a plain window manager, .

But even then, a CPU with two cores, clocked at 1GHz, and a GPU with a maximum clock of 300 MHz, that isn't exactly the ideal computer for watching HD videos in good quality and speed.

Unfortunately, the presence of an HDMI port is not much of an indicator for certain capabilities either. Almost every PC in the last decade or so has one of those.
 I've looked at the specs, i think the computer was like for work or school, its not that flash admittedly. I stand corrected in regards to HDMI. I will try a few different live distros and see how the graphics playback.Cheers
I am unfamiliar with that laptop so looked it up and it seems even when it was new that it had trouble running video according to the reviews.
I watched a movie on Youtube, downloaded movie and watched it offline and off course played my movies on the harddrive. All slow, dropping frames and jerky. The cpu is an Amd with combined graphics. I read that the cpu was not that great. Cheers.
Try d/l at a lower resolution. I've install the CLI youtube-dl package . In the terminal youtube-dl -F (url) to see the file list and youtube-dl -f (url) to actually d/l it. Google the terminal version to see how it works.Derrick at 'Distrotube' has a video titled "Command Line App For Downloading YouTube Videos.mp4" that explains how. there is a youtube-dl-gui from github . there is also an .deb pkg. that works better I think. The cli gives more control though.

http://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/#downloads
Here is the link to youtube-dlg.deb I use.
I hope links are ok, can't remember.
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
Hello,
You said you were going to try some LIVE Distros on USB to see if anything is better...
May I suggest MX-19. Some will say OMG, but it is a real low on the resources so that may help!
MX is a Xfce Desktop and it is also lightweight DE and can be made fancy it you want. Just not that way out of the box..

I have it on my Dell Box which is a AMD Athlon II X2 240 CPU and 4 Gig of ram, AMD/ATI R5780 [Radeon 3200] video on-board with HDMI. I use it for my Media player Box and watch all my moves from my server in my browser as well Netflix, Amazon and it plays everything real good.
I tried several Distros on it and MX works the best. I even use Simplescreenrecorder on it and record my family VHS tapes on it through a HDMI video capture box to my hard drive and it does real well for that too! So I am saying give it a try, you might like it...Lol
I do use other Distro's like Mint 18.3, Manjaro Cinnamon, EndeavourOS Cinnamon, Arch BTW... So I use different ones for certain things, you can get cheap Dells, HPs, and so on on eBay for a $100 bucks or more and play with all kinds of Distro's...
Have fun with it, you will find something that will work for you!!!
Sorry about the Rambling... ]:-)
LLAP
Taglines of the BBS Days:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. 
  Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk
    Not everything in life is a 1 or a 0.
       Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again...
Another thing you should check is what video driver are you using?

For modern AMD GPUs you should be using "AMDGPU" driver supplied in the "mesa" package.
For legacy AMD GPUs, you might be better off using the open source "radeon" driver package or the proprietary "AMD Catalyst" driver
Arch Linux x86_64; KDE Plasma DE
Core i5-9600K; ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F; 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance; AMD Radeon RX 470 with aco-mesa driver