Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Users Question
I've been tinkering around in some VMs (Mint 18.3 xfce it's also what's installed on a laptop my aunt uses in the other room) with some of the terminal basics, ssh. 

With a little googling and experimenting I see you can put a user in the sudo group and that user obtains sudo privileges.   

I notice in the GUI of xfce there's 3 options "admin" , "custom" and "desktop user".

From my understanding a desktop user has minimal privileges. This is the type of user my aunt is on the laptop mentioned above (she only uses it for Facebook and searches the web a few times a day).  I've been looking over the "man adduser" and "man usermod" pages and I don't see how to create this type of user in the terminal.  In fact the only type of user I can create is a "custom user" and with the aforementioned experimenting I can change it's privileges. 

I see you can make a "system user" which I've tried thinking it would be an "admin" to my surprise  you can't login to this user.  I'm guessing it would be a user the system uses. For what purpose I'm not that deep yet. I notice in /etc/passwd there's a list of these system users with the shell of /bin/false , /usr/sbin/nologin and others.  Just a little too confusing to rap my newbie brain around.  But I digress.

I'm guessing that the 3 types of users in the GUI is just a easy way for people that don't want to use a terminal to create these different users and there's very little actual difference, other than admin.  

If I'm wrong in this thinking. What's the difference in these types of users and how do I great them at the command line?
Processor : 6x AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor
Memory : 8174MB
Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Desktop Environment : Cinnamon 3.6.7 
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2
Version : 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.130
Direct Rendering : Yes
ATA Samsung SSD 840
maybe start here for come basics: https://wiki.debian.org/sudo