Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I build wine in a specific directory
I want to build 32 bit Wine from source but I do not want to install it as my system wine, I want to install the wine version in my ~/Downloads/wine4.20/ folder. How will I build wine to ensure it will be compiled in that folder and that folder only?

Essentially I want to create my own portable Wine Prefix and not overwrite the system wine installation I have. When I run my own portable wine install I will use this command

Code:
~/Downloads/wine4.20/bin/wine "C:/path/to/application.exe"

Any help will be most appreciated!
Code:
git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git
cd wine
./configure
make

Those commands will fetch the wine source code and build it (if all dependencies are installed). The newly build wine can then simply be started (while you are still inside this directory) with './wine'.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(11-28-2019, 11:39 PM)leon.p Wrote:
Code:
git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git
cd wine
./configure
make

Those commands will fetch the wine source code and build it (if all dependencies are installaed). The newly build wine can than simply be started (while you are still inside this directory) with './wine'.

Wouldn't this build and install Wine into my system? I want to build wine so it is in a specific folder such as my ~/Downloads/Wine4.20/ folder ad not overwrite my system Wine which I have installed from the repository.

PlayOnLinux allows you to download Wine Versions and they are stored in ~/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86 and these are portable installations of Wine. I want to compile Wine 4.20 to be portable as the PlayOnLinx wine versions.

I added a patch to the Wine source code which is why I want to compile it.
(11-29-2019, 01:33 AM)trymeout Wrote: Wouldn't this build and install Wine into my system?

No, nothing is installed. Now if you were to execute 'sudo make install' afterwards, then and only then would the wine binary you just build be installed system wide.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
I figured it out!

https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_instal..._system.3F

This explains to me how to build a portable wine

instead of ./configure I need to use this command instead

./configure prefix=path_to_install_directory && make