Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
linux mint installation
Greetings to all
have come across a problem whilst installing mint closely following Joe Collins' Beginner's Guide to Installing Linux Mint 19
After choosing language & keyboard set up: the installer has opened the 'Installation type' as if 'something else' was selected
...I want to get rid of windows 10 instead of having a dual boot but for the life of me I can't figure out how to continue
TIA, Ini
its been a while but you want to select 'something else' then you can delete ALL windows partitions including 'Recovery' ; you'll end up with a blank disk. Now create a 30-40gig partition as '/' root ext4 . then a swap partition double that of your ram. then your Home partition as '/home' and ext4 . This give a nice backup options later. Joe C. has videos describing this. If that seems too hard for now, just accept the default partition scheme for now. you can red-do this over and over till you get the hang of it. Don't install a lot of programs or put a lot of your own files on it till your more comfortable. PS !! make SURE you copy all your user files onto some external device first. ALSO see if you can find a Junk computer to experiment on ; then you trash Win. for good. /// also keep in mind it can't run Win programs. I keep an old HD on the shelf with Win. 10 to play WoW (World of Warcraft) , but that is now available on Linux with Lutris. --- too much already --
regards -rick -
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
Ini.
Are you saying you did not get the option to "overwrite Windows" (or whatever the precise wording is) as the first option?
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3
(11-27-2019, 08:35 PM)Ini Wrote: Greetings to all
have come across a problem whilst installing mint closely following Joe Collins' Beginner's Guide to Installing Linux Mint 19
After choosing language & keyboard set up: the installer has opened the 'Installation type' as if 'something else' was selected  
...I want to get rid of windows 10 instead of having a dual boot but for the life of me I can't figure out how to continue
TIA,   Ini

Welcome to the Forum,

I haven't seen Joe's video but all you need to do is select..."Erase Disk and Install Linux Mint"...this wipes everything on the HDD/SSD and installs Mint on the whole Drive which is exactly what you want and is trouble free.  [Image: animated-happy-smiley-image-0002.gif]

Creating Partitions was necessary back in the old days for various reasons but not today.  You don't need to create a Swap Partition either...Mint 19 series comes with a Swap File of 2GB and since modern Computers can run upto 32GBs of Ram...you'll never need Swap (Virtual Memory).  [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0007.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]
If you haven't seen Joe's install video her it is. https://youtu.be/G0AFuhVSvEk . Look at the 19 min. mark re. partitions
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
Many thx for the help Rick. Gotta say, i'm totally confused however...
re. Windows 10 i've never used. it came pre-installed on a HP pavilion desktop I bought! My old 2005 HP compaq has windows 7 OS which I'll be using till I get the hang of mint. Then I'll repeat the process of installing mint onto the Compaq
So, i'm now off to search for the Joe C videos to hopefully bring some clarity.
Again many thx for the help

(11-27-2019, 11:06 PM)cliffcoggin Wrote: Ini.
Are you saying you did not get the option to "overwrite Windows" (or whatever the precise wording is) as the first option?

In a nutshell, yes. After selecting ''Install third party software for graphics & Wi-Fi hardware etc etc and clicking continue I was faced with... 
Installation Type 
Device Type Mount point Format? Size Used System
/dev/sdb
+ -  change                        New Partition Table      Revert
device for boot loader installation
/dev/sda
Pressing install now results in a popup reading No Root File System is defined 
Please correct this from the partitioning menu
????
???

(11-27-2019, 11:13 PM)bob777 Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 08:35 PM)Ini Wrote: Greetings to all
TIA,   Ini

Welcome to the Forum,

I haven't seen Joe's video but all you need to do is select..."Erase Disk and Install Linux Mint"...this wipes everything on the HDD/SSD and installs Mint on the whole Drive which is exactly what you want and is trouble free.  [Image: animated-happy-smiley-image-0002.gif]

Creating Partitions was necessary back in the old days for various reasons but not today.  You don't need to create a Swap Partition either...Mint 19 series comes with a Swap File of 2GB and since modern Computers can run upto 32GBs of Ram...you'll never need Swap (Virtual Memory).  [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0007.gif]

I'd be well happy to select ''Erase Disk and Install Linux Mint'' 

After selecting ''Install third party software for graphics & Wi-Fi hardware etc etc and clicking continue I was faced with...

Installation Type 
Device Type Mount point Format? Size Used System
/dev/sdb
+ -  change                        New Partition Table      Revert
device for boot loader installation
/dev/sda
Pressing install now results in a popup reading No Root File System is defined 
Please correct this from the partitioning menu

???
Ini,

Linux Mint provides many options for installation which is very confusing to beginners...as I said you don't need to create Partitions but the options are there...
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea...stall.html

When you get to...5. Choose an installation type...select...Erase Disk and install Linux Mint.

Then click...Continue...you now see 6. Select your timezone and follow the instructions from there.

When you get to...8 Enter your user details...it's not a good idea to Encrypt my home folder... Take the X out and click Continue...Mint will then install. [Image: animated-happy-smiley-image-0003.gif]

This is my Linux Mint Installation...Cinnamon 19.1 on a 500GB SSD...note there are no Partitions except the Root Partitions which is the whole Drive.
https://i.ibb.co/z4pBdyS/Selection-010.png

I've found doing the installation this way creates no problems as you would creating a Root Partition of say 20/50GB which will fill up very quickly and get Disk Space warnings very often...people are free to do what ever they like but I like the easy trouble free way.  [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0006.gif]
FAO Bob777 ''Linux Mint provides many options for installation which is very confusing to beginners...''

truedat amigo. thx for your help! Have been at this all day & gettin' a tad punchy So, enough for now. Will get back in the ring 2moro
thx again
Just watched Joe's excellent Video and that's the way to go. [Image: animated-happy-smiley-image-0013.gif]

I've been doing that way since switching to Linux some 4 yrs ago...of cause 17.2 to 18.3 had a Swap Partition created by the installation but now a thing of the past.  [Image: animated-happy-smiley-image-0002.gif]

Joe mentioned Timeshift in the video...it seems many people have problems with Timeshift Snapshots saying they fill up the Drive but if you have one large Partition on a 500GB HDD/SSD it's never a problem and you can delete Snapshots at any time. [Image: animated-happy-smiley-image-0017.gif] If you have a tiny SSD...it's going to fill up very quick...I'll never understand why people install Mint or any Distro on tiny Drives. 

The Image below shows one Partition on my 500GB SSD
https://i.ibb.co/ZgRwpnm/Screenshot-from...-09-53.png

Root is 191GB...the sum of everything on the Drive...which means I have 269GB of Space left.  Under that shows the contents of Home...Timeshift...Var and so on...which are Dynamic and very easy to understand. [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0007.gif]

As for Backing Up...once I get everything the way I like it...I'll create an Image of the Drive with Macrium Rescue Disk (which works great with Linux) and it's stored on an External HDD...life is good. [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0001.gif]
(11-27-2019, 11:13 PM)bob777 Wrote: ...As for Backing Up...once I get everything the way I like it...I'll create an Image of the Drive with Macrium Rescue Disk (which works great with Linux) and it's stored on an External HDD...life is good. [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0001.gif]

It's nice to know that Macrium Reflect rescue drives work well with Linux. I'm already famliar with using them.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!