Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kernel Upgrade with Terminal?
How do you upgrade the kernel with a terminal command? It's really easy with the GUI but if I login to another computer with SSH I would like to do it with a terminal command. 

I've tried,
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

They upgrade everything except the kernel.
Processor : 6x AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor
Memory : 8174MB
Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Desktop Environment : Cinnamon 3.6.7 
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2
Version : 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.130
Direct Rendering : Yes
ATA Samsung SSD 840
I have one system running Mint 18.3 which I update remotely through SSH but for kernel updates I have have to actually go to the machine and use the GUI update manager.

I've tried accessing the remote computer usng ssh -x <ip-address> and then entering sudo mintupdate. This opens the update manager but when I try to install the updates, the terminal seemed to hang and I had to close it by clicking the close button on top. But when I went to the computer and opened update manager, it showed no updates so apparently the update was installed. It wasn't a kernel update but it seems like it would still work since I was remotely going through the GUI.

I did a Google search and found there there are command line utilities that will do it. https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/10/2-...el-in.html.

I hope this will be helpful or at least be something to try. Good luck.
I only install the latest Kernel when it's available in the Update Manager...which I believe is the safest way. [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0006.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]