Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Distrohoppers, assemble! DE experiences on different distros
People that have been around Linux and new users might have something in common: going from one distribution to another, either out of curiosity, looking for a better experience, better support, a niche or a bigger community, etc. 

There are many reasons to distrohop, but there's something everyone notices:  A DE have a different feel depending on the distro you use.

So, assuming you have a preference on DE, what distro has the best experience for you? Why? What is different about other distros.

An example would be KDE on Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Manjaro and OpenSUSE. If I have to use KDE, I'll go with OpenSUSE every time, having Fedora KDE and Kubuntu as a backup. I don't like KDE on Debian. KDE on Manjaro is nice, but it doesn't fit my personal taste.

Obviously, since you can customize any distro as you like, I'm talking about the out-of-the-box experience. What's the closes one to your liking as default?
Personally I prefer Cinnamon and i3-gaps (on xfce).

A little weird perhaps as those are eachother's opposites, more or less.

/Damian.
- @damianrath   //    "With age comes wisdom & with experience comes understanding."
- github

SparkyLinux XFCE

RoboLinux Gnome (but a little heavy on my hardware)
I found MX Linux to be the best because MX Linux makes it easy. I don't need to use the command line, MX Tools makes things easier. Everything works on the first boot up. It has an excellent support forum similar to openSUSE's support. It's solid as a rock. MX Linux is very fast. It has a friendly community, not like Manjaro which has the most toxic community and all kinds of lame lying excuses of the many problems Manjaro has. MX Linux developers check their work, while Manjaro doesn't. I like the Xfce desktop with the Whisker menu the best since you can resize it to what ever size you want and it's easy to find programs, it's also not clunky.
Switched from Windows to Linux on 9/2015. I use MX-17.1 Linux.
I appreciate the improvements in KDE plasma over the last couple of months and I'm using kubuntu as my distro of choice on my desktop without any major tweaks to the interface. I have to say, for my personal taste Manjaro KDE is a bit over the top.

However, on a laptop I like something that can be more keyboard driven. I was using i3 on Arch, but I wanted something that worked a little more out of the box. I thought Manjaro i3 would be nice, but again... Manjaro's theming is just not my style. So, after a long time away, I'm running a #! (Debian with a customized openbox session) like environment again using #!++. Like kubuntu on the desktop, I haven't done anything major to tweak the UI, just added some items to the openbox menu.
For me Mint Xfce is the choice. I have used Xfce on other distos (Xubuntu, MX Linux, Linux Lite) but always came back to Mint. Mint always worked the best with less effort put into the installation of the programs I use. For instance, when I wanted to install CYA (system backup/recovery program provided by Jeremy) Mint install went smooth, but MX linux had problems and I didn't have the experience to solve it. Jeremy came through with the solution but it took the better part of the day. All I can say is THANK YOU JEREMY! YOU DA MAN!!

Another program I like to use is Synergy, and with Mint I have no issues. Due to my experience I believe the Mint team puts more thought into what the average DESKTOP user needs, advanced and not so advance user, than other distros. Either that or I have unique hardware. :o)
So even though I've been a big OpenSuse fan for a long time and usually use it as my main distro, at times I like to look out and see what other distros do KDE well. KDE is my DE of choice by a long shot. Currently running KDE Neon and so far it's working well. I don't actually see any inherent advantages or disadvantages of using Neon over OpenSuSE so far except for the fact that I like the idea of using a "distro" from the developers of my DE of choice. I've only been using Neon for a couple of days, but at the moment I don't feel any compelling need to run back to OpenSuse.
I haven't really stepped out of the Ubuntu ecosystem yet (trying virtual machines, don't plan on stepping out more until I can install Arch in a VM, failing so far), but I have seen other distros in videos and screenshots, so I am sort of in between Fedora, Arch and Ubuntu for the GNOME experience, though I do prefer the stock Ubuntu icon set over Adwaita stuff, let alone Suru and Yaru. I've seen openSUSE a couple of times and I must say that it's that weird blend of office/technical/old-feeling for me, I don't know why (that amount of that shade of green just inspires the office feeling for me), so it's not really for me, at least not with the main DE they use (not sure which one).
Name: Sandy Vujaković
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15-aw003nm

(08-29-2018, 09:22 AM)elsandosgrande Wrote: I haven't really stepped out of the Ubuntu ecosystem yet (trying virtual machines, don't plan on stepping out more until I can install Arch in a VM, failing so far), but I have seen other distros in videos and screenshots, so I am sort of in between Fedora, Arch and Ubuntu for the GNOME experience, though I do prefer the stock Ubuntu icon set over Adwaita stuff, let alone Suru and Yaru. I've seen openSUSE a couple of times and I must say that it's that weird blend of office/technical/old-feeling for me, I don't know why (that amount of that shade of green just inspires the office feeling for me), so it's not really for me, at least not with the main DE they use (not sure which one)

OpenSuSE is one of the oldest distros - probably as old as Red Hat/Fedora. I started using it when it was just SuSE Linux back in the 90's. They've always focused primarily on KDE which is the DE although you can choose GNOME during installation. Green has always been their color probably because their mascot is a lizard!
(08-29-2018, 05:01 PM)Crimsonsky76 Wrote: OpenSuSE is one of the oldest distros - probably as old as Red Hat/Fedora. I started using it when it was just SuSE Linux back in the 90's. They've always focused primarily on KDE which is the DE although you can choose GNOME during installation. Green has always been their color probably because their mascot is a lizard!

Thanks for the info! I'll try that out when I get back into virtual machines (trying to conserve space on main drive since I need to be able to store videos I'm editing, which can sometimes add up to multiple hours of footage, as well as other things; also, I knew why they chose green).

On a separate note, impressive track record, running Linux distros since the early beginnings! I wonder where I can get a copy of the oldest distros out there running GNOME(1) and KDE (1).
Name: Sandy Vujaković
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15-aw003nm