Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB 3.0 read only, solutions not working?
I have put data on a usb and the data is fine but it has become read only as the linux mint system did not provide a safe to remove notification after ejection I assume.  I have tried the mount/unmount option again, and the terminal option of:

df -Th
~$ umount /media/david/USB STICK

umount: /media/david/USB: No such file or directory

with spaces or without...both do anything and 

~$ dosfsck -a /dev/sdb1
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
open: Permission denied

How do I solve this issue, is it a 3.0 issue or is there something else I can do?
Any help appreciated, thanks.
Linux Mint does have an Eject option...sounds like you didn't use it and have corrupted the Drive.  [Image: animated-afraid-smiley-image-0038.gif]

I have several USB 3 Flash Drives and a number of USB 3 External HDDs...all work just fine.

Once I had a USB 2 Flash Drive that suddenly became "Read Only" so You may need to Re-Format the Drive which should fix the problem but all Data on the Drive will be lost.   [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0005.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]
(11-25-2019, 03:26 PM)dai-3 Wrote: df -Th
~$ umount /media/david/USB STICK

umount: /media/david/USB: No such file or directory

with spaces or without...both do anything and

Is your USB stick mounted at /media/david/USB STICK?
If yes, then you should

umount "/media/david/USB STICK"

with the quotation marks. the shell uses spaces to separate arguments, unless you force them to stay together with the quotation marks or escape the spaces with the backslash ( \ ). That's why umount thought you want to unmount something in /media/david/USB which did not exist.
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
dai-3,

I tried to create your "Read Only" problem on my Lexar USB 3 Flash Drive but it still works fine.  I put two files on the Drive and pulled it out without ejecting it safely (which you should never do) but it works.  [Image: animated-shocked-smiley-image-0109.gif]

However while copping a video to the Drive...I pulled out the Drive (never do this)...Bingo Corrupt Flash Drive [Image: animated-shocked-smiley-image-0081.gif] now it wont Mount at all and get this..."Unable To Mount Location".  [Image: animated-sad-smiley-image-0045.gif]

To fix this...no Terminal needed...Go to Menu...in Search Box type...Disk...click Disk icon...select Flash Drive (left hand side at bottom) click small cogs...choose...Format Partition...Name it (bob) select...Type-For Use With Windows (NTFS)...click...Next then...Format.  Once done your Flash Drive will be as good as new...hope this helps. [Image: animated-happy-smiley-image-0017.gif]
I can mount and unmount manually but the drive is still read only. I can copy but not write. It is my biggest newest drive and would like it to work, and no., I did eject every time, and it did not give a notification of safe removal after some time, I assumed it was a glitch, but obviously now I think not after removing.

None of the comments so far have said how to solve anything, as my data is on the drive. I can delete the data I assume and re-format, but what is the point in that if I have to re-format every time Mint glitches without a notification?
There must be a solution without deleting gigs of data and re-writing destroying the lifespan of the drive?
If not, I will have to buy smaller drives for designated file groups to avoid this as they are asset drives with more data written and added.

Solution preferred, thanks.

I seem to have found the solution on unity & linux stack exchange:

sudo fdisk -l

mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdb1

i tried writing and it flagged nothing and wrote.
Thank you all for trying.
(11-26-2019, 10:35 AM)dai-3 Wrote: I can mount and unmount manually but the drive is still read only.  I can copy but not write.  It is my biggest newest drive and would like it to work, and no., I did eject every time, and it did not give a notification of safe removal after some time, I assumed it was a glitch, but obviously now I think not after removing.
I have a 1TG Portable HDD (NTFS)...some time ago I went to create a Folder on it and was suddenly "Read Only" ...what happened who knows.   [Image: animated-confused-smiley-image-0096.gif]
I had some important files on it...so I plugged it into a Windoze Computer hoping to remove them.  The Drive worked perfectly (Read/Write)  [Image: animated-confused-smiley-image-0119.gif]  I Ejected it without doing anything and plugged the Drive back into my Linux Mint Computer and the bloody Drive worked perfectly too. [Image: animated-confused-smiley-image-0086.gif] This Drive still works perfectly some  six months later...must be Gremlins. [Image: animated-confused-smiley-image-0130.gif]
This may work or not but it's worth a try...strange things happen on Computers.  The files on the Portable HDD were backed up on another External HDD just in case...lucky me.   [Image: animated-happy-smiley-image-0013.gif]
Have you solved your problem yet ?   Huh