Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing a Canon printer
I am new to Linux and I don`t understand how I install a Canon mp495 printer or get the system to recognise that the printer is there and ready to print whatever i want.
Can anybody help please
Thank you
Peter Knowles Huh
Most modern printers with wifi should only need to be plugged into power and switched on. Then open Printers on your computer and Add Printer. Does that not work for you?
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3
(11-18-2019, 05:07 PM)cliffcoggin Wrote: Most modern printers with wifi should only need to be plugged into power and switched on. Then open Printers on your computer and Add Printer. Does that not work for you?

It wouldn't work for me since I do not use WiFi, preferring the speed and security of Ethernet.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
(11-18-2019, 06:46 PM)Lady Fitzgerald Wrote: It wouldn't work for me since I do not use WiFi, preferring the speed and security of Ethernet.

I thought you used clay tablets?   Wink
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

(11-18-2019, 11:51 PM)deck_luck Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 06:46 PM)Lady Fitzgerald Wrote: It wouldn't work for me since I do not use WiFi, preferring the speed and security of Ethernet.

I thought you used clay tablets?   Wink

Nope. Stone tablets. Far more durable. Hey, they're solid state.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
hi there,
what cliff cogins meant is:
-plug and power up your printer
-on your compyter keyboard, press the super key. AKA windows key.
-use the search and type "printer"

as cliff mentioned after this every thing is self explanatory.
If you need a visual guide of what everyone is describing above...

From an old thread on printers:

https://www.ezeelinux.com/talk/showthrea...t=printers

Your version of Mint or choice of desktop environment may vary, but the steps should be the same: 

1. Quick video on adding a network printer in Linux Mint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7eagtFhrw

2. More extensive video on a CUPS install and setup if you need it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2DJAMpwmY

If Mint doesn't detect a specific driver you may need, try downloading it directly from your printer's website.  There's probably info on that in another old printer thread on this site or a YouTube video detailing that, too.
Installing a Printer and Scanner in Linux isn't easy due to the fact Printer Manufactures don't give a toss about Linux. [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0005.gif]

The second link Eurus provided (Add Printer) does work for the Printer...if it doesn't you'll have to go to the Manufactures site and try to find the Drivers which is a real pain and another pain trying to install them especially the Scanner Driver...I know...been there done that.   [Image: animated-angry-smiley-image-0248.gif]

I have an Epson Printer which isn't easy either...I did manage to install both Printer and Scanner with much trouble. [Image: animated-angry-smiley-image-0271.gif]

If you have a Windoze Virtual Machine...you can install both Printer and Scanner with no trouble at all...the best option is to go to the Manufactures site and download the Windoze Drivers...plug in your Printer and install them...works just fine because I've done that too. [Image: animated-happy-smiley-image-0002.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]
I agree, printers are still hit or miss with Linux.  Too many brands won't provide drivers for Linux or make it a hassle.

But that's interesting about your Epson — I have an old Epson XP-600 that Ubuntu 16.04 immediately recognized and all print / scan functions work fine.  Other printers I've set up for family or friends have been a pain, but the Epson was easy.  They're trying to price me out of ink these days, but that's another story....
(11-26-2019, 04:02 AM)Eurus Wrote: I agree, printers are still hit or miss with Linux.  Too many brands won't provide drivers for Linux or make it a hassle.

But that's interesting about your Epson — I have an old Epson XP-600 that Ubuntu 16.04 immediately recognized and all print / scan functions work fine.  Other printers I've set up for family or friends have been a pain, but the Epson was easy.  They're trying to price me out of ink these days, but that's another story....

I have an Epson XP 245 Printer...installing the Printer wasn't that hard but installing the Scanner Driver was a nightmare because the Driver came as a deb.tar.gz file. [Image: animated-scared-smiley-image-0002.gif]

I did write down everything I did to install Printer and Scanner being not easy to do and I have a System Image of my SSD on an External HDD...so if anything happens I don't have to Re-Install everything over again.  [Image: animated-thumbs-smiley-image-0006.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]