Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with RAM / swap 2gb on RAM? Laptop.
Hi, just have a query on how I should go about improving the laptop I currently have in regards to RAM usage.

I think my Max ram is 8gb and it is saying it is 8 installed, but there is a 2gb swap-file/space and a 6.8gb ram? Using 1.4 to 1.8gb at idle online so even less for actual usage etc.

Why do I have a swap on the ram and not a separate swap space partition?  Is it because laptops do it differently? I just see this in the system monitor.

Also I cannot get mate screenshot to work as I think I uninstalled something and don't know how to get it working again Smile
So I cannot show you etc. (help appreciated). 

Marco says:There was an error running mate-screenshot --window:
Failed to execute child process “mate-screenshot” (No such file or directory)

I would just like to maximise the potential of the laptop I have, but it has max 8gb on one slot. Any help much appreciated. Thank you all. 

Linux Mint 19.2, HP-Notebook-15,AMD-A8-R5_integrated.

511MiB Windows FAT volume is also listed as a partition, is this correct for proper settings or should I have a re-install (it is not ftps at least)?
Mint 19 does not by default have a swap partition unless you consciously created one. It uses an automatic swap space instead.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3
(11-07-2019, 08:23 PM)dai-3 Wrote: 511MiB Windows FAT volume is also listed as a partition, is this correct for proper settings or should I have a re-install (it is not ftps at least)?

Is your laptop using EFI? Is your disk GPT formatted? In those cases, the /boot is on a FAT volume, which is about half a gigabyte, usually. So I wouldn't worry about that part.
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
As for the mate screenshot if you accidentally uninstalled it or just to be sure it is there use the terminal and type in:
sudo apt install mate-screenshot
which is what the error message says is missing and it should fix that problem.
On the memory problem I am unsure if you mean you have 8 gigs installed memory and a 2 gig swap file or 6 gigs installed memory and a 2 gig swap file, that being said I have never used a swap file in linux I always make a swap partition and if it is on a laptop computer I make the swap partition 100mb larger than the physical memory so I have the option to suspend or hibernate available to use if I so desire.
Lastly as was stated above you may be using an efi system for the FAT but even if you are not the FAT partition isn't really hurting anything so unless you need to reload for another reason I would leave it alone anyhow.
(11-08-2019, 05:14 PM)spudnuts Wrote: As for the mate screenshot if you accidentally uninstalled it or just to be sure it is there use the terminal and type in:
sudo apt install mate-screenshot
which is what the error message says is missing and it should fix that problem.
On the memory problem I am unsure if you mean you have 8 gigs installed memory and a 2 gig swap file or 6 gigs installed memory and a 2 gig swap file, that being said I have never used a swap file in linux I always make a swap partition and if it is on a laptop computer I make the swap partition 100mb larger than the physical memory so I have the option to suspend or hibernate available to use if I so desire.
Lastly as was stated above you may be using an efi system for the FAT but even if you are not the FAT partition isn't really hurting anything so unless you need to reload for another reason I would leave it alone anyhow.

"unable to locate package mate-screenshot" is the message.

With the memory issue, I am saying that the system info shows:

currently being used = 1.9gb (28.4%) being used of 6.9gb available.    swap = 0% used of 2gb.
My system data shows 8gb (8192mb) ram at max ram for the machine.
Is the ram swap standard for laptop installation, as I installed from a usb with auto-installation etc?  Should I re-install and create a double memory swap partition as some online sites say you should have double the ram for a swap, and some say on a laptop none is needed (but I think that may be for ssd alone or just laptops?.  I have been rendering images and do not know if this is more useful or less?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Just seen that it reached 2gb used, then it activated the swap 2gb and was using 0.3%. So it is using it and it is activating at 2gb in some way?
What is eating 1.9gb of ram when I am just running the forum online and terminal etc, is it the resolution or something, what can help lower its usage so I can take advantage of it? Thanks.
This is the RAM data etc.

https://mega.nz/#!hqhQwCqY!E-JWhogBn3idR...1yELTv25Qg

screenshot found through mate-utilities package install.
Not sure if this will help but I pulled up my system monitor and I am using 1.8 of 17.6 gigs and 212mb of swap right this minute, I have 18 gigs of memory but the system only says it is using 17.6 of it and my swap partition is 2.1 gigs.
With a swap file I believe that it changes size on it's own for what is needed.
"some online sites say you should have double the ram for a swap"
That used to be mostly true for any install but it's been a long time since that was needed on every computer, for a desktop or a laptop that you will never go into suspend/hibernate with, around 2 gigs will be plenty for the swap partition regardless of your amount of physical memory.
For your laptop if I were making the partitions I would make the swap 8300mb if I thought it might need to suspend/hibernate at sometime in the future (because the swap is where it writes all the memory in use to the drive for suspend/hibernate and then reads it off when you come out of it).
You can change when/how it swaps with a swappiness command but I don't remember how as I don't bother doing it (I could be wrong on what swappiness does).