Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
problem installing obmenu-generator in Arch (SOLVED)
I got the package from AUR. When I run makepkg to compile it, it tells me it needs two dependencies.
  • perl-data-dump -- which I installed from the Arch repository
  • perl-linux-desktopfiles>=0.25 -- which I got from the Arch AUR repository
I ran makepkg to compile it. It did it successfully.
But when I go back and run makepkg in the obmenu-generator directory, it tells me I am still missing perl-linux-desktopfiles.
I don't know how to install perl-linux-desktopfiles. I can't tell where to look for the program file so I can run it, or even what kind of file it is.

Here is a screenshot of my perl-linux-desktopfiles directory, which is a sub-directory of the obmenu-generator directory, taken after I ran makepkg in this directory.

[Image: linux-desktopfiles.png]

Richard

EDIT: After all else fails, read the instructions, right. I looked up the pacman wiki.
Let me guess: you forget to do makepkg -si ? Smile
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
Quote:Let me guess: you forget to do makepkg -si ?
Dumber than that. I didn't forget. I didn't even know to do it. I'm new at the compiling game.

Richard
Just a question: did you use some aur manager? like yay or any other?
Quote:Just a question: did you use some aur manager? like yay or any other?

No, I downloaded the obmenu-generator package from AUR, and after installing the two needed dependencies, one of which was in the Arch repository, the other in AUR. I compiled the dependency with makepkg and installed it with pacman. Then I was able to compile obmenu-generator with makepkg and install that with pacman.

I got the menu working with icons after some messing around with perl and gtk2 stuff.

[Image: desktop_with_menu.jpg]

Richard
there is nothing wrong with your method, nonetheless i like to mention a aur manager (ie yay or any other) makes this task so much easier.
regards
(10-22-2019, 05:28 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: there is nothing wrong with your method, nonetheless i like to mention a aur manager (ie yay or any other) makes this task so much easier.
regards

You're not wrong, but generally, the only "supported" way of installing foreign packages like AUR packages is with makepkg. But once you understand how that works, there's nothing inherently wrong using some tools to manage AUR stuff, especially if you have a bunch of them. But yay is not really the suggested option, as pacman wrappers can cause a bunch of unexpected problems.

I have been told, that aurutils is one of the best ones out there that doesn't abstract away the package management (or what).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
you are right, and i should have mentioned it: the only supported way to install aur packages is through makepkg.

About the one you pick up, you have to keep in mind that at any given time the project can stop be maintain or an other project can be developed and suit your needs better. For instance years ago Yaourt was the must go to, but now a days it is not even a thing anymore. As someone said in a video few days ago: arch linux keeps your packages up to date, but it is your job to keep your knowledge up to date. Not sure about the exact phrase but that was the idea Smile