Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lost Internet connection in virtual Arch (SOLVED)
Here's a network connectivity problem:

I installed a new headless Arch virtual machine yesterday in Oracle VBox. At some point, around the time I added myself as a user, and added myself to the sudoers file, I lost Internet access. When I ping google.com I get this message: "ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution"

Except, of course, it's not temporary.

Richard
I feel I should point out that message does not say you have no connection to the internet but that it can not resolve the name which could be for other reasons, try to ping the ip address of google (172.217.15.110) instead and that will tell you if the connection is gone or name server is wrong/not working.
In response to ping 172.217.15.110 I get  "ping: connect: Network is unreachable"

As a test I tried both 172.217.15.110 and google.com on another Arch virtual machine and both worked fine.
Do you use NetworkManager? If yes, try to restart it, wait a few seconds and try again.

Code:
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

If not, then your dhcp configuration might be bad. Easiest solution: User NetworkManager.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
I finally realized I forgot to enable dhcpcd
Code:
systemctl enable dhcpcd

Richard
It's almost always something stupid you have done a thousand times before and missed the last time.