Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I start an application?
How do I start an application?

I used sudo dpkg -1 to unpack a deb file and got all these files but I don't understand how to start whatever one is the actual APP.

A hint please  Huh
(09-30-2019, 01:56 PM)WayneAtwood@pm.me Wrote: How do I start an application?

I used sudo dpkg -1 to unpack a tar.gz file and got all these files but I don't understand how to start whatever one is the actual APP.

One should usually install an application before executing it. Usually no manual unpacking or extracting is required.

'dpkg' is primarily used to install .deb packages. You appear to have a .tar.gz file, which is likely to either be a package for a different distribution or an archive containing the source code of the application.
If you are using a Debian based operating system, Linux Mint/Ubuntu/MX Linux/etc..., then all you have to do is double click on the *.deb file and the OS will start the installation process. After installation you will most likely find the program in your menus.

If you have a .tar.gz file then you should have a .txt file, or similar, that can be read with a text editor. This usually tells you the steps to take to install the package to your system.

JT
It depends on the application.

Once installed if there is a GUI then more often and than not you'll find it some where in the application list.  However some smaller programs don't create a shortcut which means you need to find the program or create a shortcut yourself.

If the application has no GUI then the terminal/shell/command line is required to access the program.  However you can start a GUI application from the terminal too.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer