Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a complication in an Arch guest in VBox (Solved by Leon)
I have an Arch guest running in Oracle VBox with a LXDE desktop. It worked fine in VBox 6.0.10. Then I upgraded to 6.0.12. It still worked fine. Until I upgraded the GuestAdditions to 6.0.12. Now there is no access to the shared folders. Neither is the virtual cdrom mounted.

I have another Arch guest running the LXQt desktop. It had similar issue with shared folders with 6.0.12, but I have since upgraded to 6.0.13. and when I installed the 6.0.13 GuestAdditions, this machine works perfectly again. The developers at VBox must have fixed the bugs.

The problem is I can't find a way to upgrade the GuestAdditions in the Arch machine with the LXDE desktop. I have downloaded an .iso file of the 6.0.13 Guest Additions into a directory on the desktop. With no virtual cdrom drive, I am trying to run it from the desktop. I can't make it run. (It's not a permission problem.) How do I run an .iso file from the desktop?

Richard
You can start by mounting it. ISO images can be mounted to directories, as they are basically a virtual disc, including file format. If I remember correctly, you might need to use '-o loop' with the 'mount' command.
(09-26-2019, 12:14 AM)leon.p Wrote: You can start by mounting it. ISO images can be mounted to directories, as they are basically a virtual disc, including file format. If I remember correctly, you might need to use '-o loop' with the 'mount' command.

Correct, according to a quick search on the Arch forums, you can mount a CD image by:

Code:
# mount -o loop /path/to/image.iso /media/mountpoint
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
Leon,

That worked perfectly. I was able to load the new GuestAdditions, and I now have access to the shared folders.

Thank you for your expertise.

Richard

addendum: and TarsolyGer, thank you for your reply.