Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think I finally see the problem
I have been ragging about people replying to posts and including in their posts everything that has been posted before. (WE [I at least] DO NOT WANT TO READ IT ALL AGAIN---WE HAVE ALREADY READ IT)
I think I see the problem:

When people reply to a post, they click on the "reply" button where the black arrow points, which automatically includes all of the stuff that came before. It becomes almost impossible to find what you wrote in that mass of redundancy.
[Image: reply_linux.jpg]

Instead, if you were to click on the "New Reply" button, (where the red arrow points) you will produce a clean post that people can read.

Pardon me if I am an old grouch. I love the stuff posted here.

Richard
The thing here is that sometimes you want to refer to a specific part of a message or you simply want to refer/reply to a message, like, 3 messages old. If you not quoting, than people have no idea to what/who you replying to.

but i agree with you: in some forum you can see people who abuse of quoting.
(09-14-2019, 09:49 AM)Tuxinho Wrote: The thing here is that sometimes you want to refer to a specific part of a message or you simply want to refer/reply to a message, like, 3 messages old.

In that case, one should only quote the part one is replying to, not the entire comment.

Richard Wrote:I have been ragging about people replying to posts and including in their posts everything that has been posted before. (WE [I at least] DO NOT WANT TO READ IT ALL AGAIN---WE HAVE ALREADY READ IT)

Agreed.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
I have to agree with Richard. Judicious editing when quoting is the key to maintaining a sensible flow to the discussion while not cluttering it with endless repetition of quotations. When I see such nested unedited quotations within quotations within quotations I simply ignore the topic and mark it as read without reading any further.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3
(09-13-2019, 11:56 PM)Richard Wrote: I have been ragging about people replying to posts and including in their posts everything that has been posted before. (WE [I at least] DO NOT WANT TO READ IT ALL AGAIN---WE HAVE ALREADY READ IT)
I think I see the problem:

When people reply to a post, they click on the "reply" button where the black arrow points, which automatically includes all of the stuff that came before. It becomes almost impossible to find what you wrote in that mass of redundancy.
[Image: reply_linux.jpg]

Instead, if you were to click on the "New Reply" button, (where the red arrow points) you will produce a clean post that people can read.

Pardon me if I am an old grouch. I love the stuff posted here.

Richard

You mean like dissss..... :trollface: