Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive Partition Help
With a 240 GB SSD, what partition scheme would ya'll recommend.

System Specs
Only Linux will be used on this PC
Dual-Core Pentium 2.1Ghz
8GB DDR3 Ram
Intel Graphics
No gaming whatsoever. Just basic office, web browsing, programming duty.

Thanks so much.
LinuxMint 19.2 (Cinnamon)
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009
For what you plan to do with the computer, you do not need any special partition layout. Just use the default option during installation.

A lot of people have a lot of opinions on this. Some say you need a seperate home partition, some say you can put everything in a single partition, some even seperate every single directory in '/' to their own partitions. Truth is, that for most users it makes no difference, as long as you don't want encryption or something like btrfs subvolumes. Just avoid LVM and you will be fine.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(09-12-2019, 07:57 AM)John Swisher Wrote: With a 240 GB SSD, what partition scheme would ya'll recommend.

System Specs
Dual-Core Pentium 2.1Ghz
8GB DDR3 Ram
Intel Graphics

Thanks so much.

It depends on what you want to do.  For many people it makes no difference.

However if you want to reload Linux faster than separate the /home partition so you don't have to move all your data back onto the drive.

I personally split the root and home partitions.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(09-12-2019, 01:29 PM)cleverwise Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 07:57 AM)John Swisher Wrote: With a 240 GB SSD, what partition scheme would ya'll recommend.

System Specs
Dual-Core Pentium 2.1Ghz
8GB DDR3 Ram
Intel Graphics

Thanks so much.

It depends on what you want to do.  For many people it makes no difference.

However if you want to reload Linux faster than separate the /home partition so you don't have to move all your data back onto the drive.

I personally split the root and home partitions.

I to have used both methods, All on one partitions and Split partitions. I find it works better for me to have a Root partition and a Home partition setup for ease of reinstalling or changing Distro's. Much easier that transferring your /Home. That is IMO the best for me...
I also have used a separate partition for the /Swap and a Swap file on the newer Distro's and I don't see to much of a differences, I suppose there could be a performance issue with the File over the Partition but I did not notice it...

At the end of the day it is a Chose that you make...
This is a Mint 18.3 system and I installed it as 1 partition and it has been running great from day one. When the support for it ends, I will install using a separate the Root and Home partitions With Mint 19??? But not till then...
Just have fun with Linux, it is the best no matter how you install it... Its Works!.!.!   Big Grin

LLAP
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.
For some reason, when I tried to install to hard drive it was picking up the flash drive and would not let me install it automatically. So, I had to do it manually. I took the percentages from several installs I knew and divided the ssd up. It is working flawlessly. Thanks for the replies.
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009
Quote:For some reason, when I tried to install to hard drive it was picking up the flash drive and would not let me install it automatically. So, I had to do it manually. I took the percentages from several installs I knew and divided the ssd up. It is working flawlessly. Thanks for the replies.

That is good to hear John!
I have done it that way to. Glad you got it shorted out, look at it as a learning experience. Just remember it will be fun just to learn new things about Linux. I have been having a ball learning this stuff.

LLAP
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.
I completely agree. Its been so long since I have actually had to think about the OS instead of mindlessly using windows to do everything. Linux has definitely been a fun adventure so far.
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009