Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop calling it "Gha-nome!"
Do keep in mind that this is just a bit of fun. The Linux community delights in confusing and confounding outsiders... Making people say printed words in ways that defy conventional pronunciation is just one example.
-- Your Fearless Leader!

(09-10-2019, 07:56 AM)Tuxinho Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 05:17 PM)cleverwise Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 04:47 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: how about we just stop using it? it will disappear and the naming problems with it... outch! don't beat me in the head! i was just kidding guys! Big Grin

I agree.  Smile

Gnome v3 *Thumbs down*

Gnome v2... I mean MATE (no nome, gee-nome, gah-nome battles) *THUMBS UP!!!!! :-)*

It is true. Now, to be fare, gnome succeeded where windows 8 failed. Win8 was an attempt to make an OS working as good in touchscreens and in lap/desktops. Gnome, with all his keyboard shortcuts makes it easier to use in a PC than win8 with no shortcuts making you moving your mouse across the all screen all the time.

So i am not using gnome, i won't use it in my machine, but, if some day i get a surface pro or any hybrid laptop, it will probably Run a gnome 3. Because in a touch screen it makes a lot of sense.

------------------------

@TarsolyGer It is true, in hungarian you spell as you pronounce. In the other hand, you use a lot of grammatical cases. I mean, you can not have all the complexities at once, right? Smile

I agree Gnome v3 does a much better job than Windows 8/8.1.  Still it is trying to make a desktop behave like a tablet.  No thanks.  That is a huge reason people revolted against Win 8/8.1 and thank goodness for Classic Shell.

I do acknowledge, as you mentioned, Gnome v3 does have keyboard shortcuts and that is good.  I am also with you on Gnome v3 is better for tablets than MATE.

Gnome v2 (MATE) = Desktop and laptops
Gnome v3 = Tablets
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(09-10-2019, 02:48 AM)TarsolyGer Wrote: Also, if the developers would care about not sounding like a clown show, they wouldn't have called their software after that exact mythical creature, [...]

Technically, GNOME once stood for "GNU Network Object Model Environment". However the project no longer follows their initial plans, so they dropped it.

Anoter fun-fact: GTK is not the "GNOME Tool Kit", but rather the "GIMP Tool Kit", as it was first used in the GIMP and later adopted by the GNOME project. GTKs full name would be "GNU is not Unix Image Manipulation Program Tool Kit".

And since we are already making fun of project names: When people talk about Emacs, they usually mean GNU-Emacs. However there are multiple different projects continuing in the spirit of the originial Emacs, so the Emacs-Community decided they need a plural form of Emacs: Emacsen. And because that alone would be boring, "Emacsen" is not only used to refer to the editors, but also to refer to its users.

And if you ever decide to switch from Emacs to Vim or the other way around: Copy-Paste in Vim is Yank-Paste, while in Emacs it is Copy-Yank. In the Acme and Sam editors its Snarf-Paste.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
[Image: proxy-duckduckgo-com.jpg]
I thought gnomes were commonly found under a toadstool.   Does that mean any distro using gnome is a toadstool?  Let's boycott any distro using gnome without the toadstool distro name. Oh, the humanity. 

Live a little and have a good laugh now and then. Big Grin
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️

(09-12-2019, 09:16 PM)deck_luck Wrote: Live a little and have a good laugh now and then. Big Grin

It is hard to make any valid point for branding in the Linux ecosystem when the logo of the kernel is a creepy pingvin... Big Grin
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
Just say gha-no to gha-nome