Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop calling it "Gha-nome!"
think it is time that we band together and start a fervent campaign to boycott all YouTubers who consistently refer to the GNOME desktop as "Gha-nome." This foolishness must be stopped NOW! "Gnome" is an English word that refers to a small mythical garden fairy... We do NOT pronounce the G as it is silent. The practice of pronouncing the G, no matter how noble your intentions, makes all of Linux look like a a clown show. Next thing you know, people are gonna start calling KDE "Ka-Dee." Stop the insanity.
-- Your Fearless Leader!

(09-09-2019, 01:43 PM)EzeeLinux Wrote: think it is time that we band together and start a fervent campaign to boycott all YouTubers who consistently refer to the GNOME desktop as "Gha-nome." This foolishness must be stopped NOW! "Gnome" is an English word that refers to a small mythical garden fairy... We do NOT pronounce the G as it is silent. The practice of pronouncing the G, no matter how noble your intentions, makes all of Linux look like a a clown show. Next thing you know, people are gonna start calling KDE "Ka-Dee." Stop the insanity.

It is Gee-nome. ;-)
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
meanwhile, those of us with Important things on our minds...
how about we just stop using it? it will disappear and the naming problems with it... outch! don't beat me in the head! i was just kidding guys! Big Grin
(09-09-2019, 04:47 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: how about we just stop using it? it will disappear and the naming problems with it... outch! don't beat me in the head! i was just kidding guys! Big Grin

I agree.  Smile

Gnome v3 *Thumbs down*

Gnome v2... I mean MATE (no nome, gee-nome, gah-nome battles) *THUMBS UP!!!!! :-)*
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(09-09-2019, 01:43 PM)EzeeLinux Wrote: think it is time that we band together and start a fervent campaign to boycott all YouTubers who consistently refer to the GNOME desktop as "Gha-nome." This foolishness must be stopped NOW! "Gnome" is an English word that refers to a small mythical garden fairy... We do NOT pronounce the G as it is silent. The practice of pronouncing the G, no matter how noble your intentions, makes all of Linux look like a a clown show. Next thing you know, people are gonna start calling KDE "Ka-Dee." Stop the insanity.

While I fully agree with your feelings on this, it's a hopeless battle. People will butcher their languages. I'm also dismayed by people dropping syllables (the Brits are the worst but we Yanks are also frequently guilty), using an intrusive "R" rather that going to the effort of using a glottal stop between words ending and starting with vowel sounds (again, a frequent Brit failing but New Englanders are just as bad), dropping the last part of contractions with the verb "to be", mispronouncing words (yahoo has a long a, not a short one, you yahoos), etc.

The really sad part is most people just don't care (I blame it on willful ignorance), as witnessed by the replies you received to your post (I can just imagine the responses I'm going to get to my post).
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
(09-09-2019, 06:57 PM)Lady Fitzgerald Wrote: While I fully agree with your feelings on this, it's a hopeless battle. People will butcher their languages. I'm also dismayed by people dropping syllables (the Brits are the worst but we Yanks are also frequently guilty), using an intrusive "R" rather that going to the effort of using a glottal stop between words ending and starting with vowel sounds (again, a frequent Brit failing but New Englanders are just as bad), dropping the last part of contractions with the verb "to be", mispronouncing words (yahoo has a long a, not a short one, you yahoos), etc.

The really sad part is most people just don't care (I blame it on willful ignorance), as witnessed by the replies you received to your post (I can just imagine the responses I'm going to get to my post).

To the best of my knowledge, Joe is referring (with comedic flair) to the willful decision of the current developers and community to insist on that pronunciation as a reference to GNU (another non-standard pronunciation), not an actual unwitting mispronunciation of the garden ornament.  This is similar to the original push by the developer behind GIFs insisting on it being pronounced JIF, as in choosy programmers choose GIF — a reference to the old Jif peanut butter slogan.

The one I don't get is MATE — a reference to the drink yerba maté by the original Argentine developer who first forked Gnome 2 as MATE, but after the official Ubuntu flavor by Wimpress and Pope, the insisted pronunciation of MATE is pronounced with a butchered British enunciation and accent instead.  And yet a number of its default apps still have Spanish names: caja, pluma, etc...  I wonder how they choose to pronounce those.

And with all these Linux pronunciation bugbears,  still no one seems to care that most people keep pronouncing daemon as day-mon, instead of dee-muh n — a reference to Maxwell's demon.  Although to be fair, despite the preferred computing pronunciation, most references include both pronunciations now.   Get behind me, satin (intentional wordplay, before someone scolds me).

When someone forks this board, the new devs will insist it's pronounced Eye-zee Tee-alk by Eye-zee Ellen-you-ex.   Tongue
Somehow I don't feel that's my problem that the English speaking world can't drop this archaic nonsense orthography for a phonetically coherent alphabet.

In my native language, we don't 'drop' or 'silence' letters, the mythical creature gnome in Hungarian is gnóm, with a hard g at the beginning, so the English saying it like 'nóm' (the way you'd write it phonetically in Hungarian) is more weird for me TBH.

Also, if the developers would care about not sounding like a clown show, they wouldn't have called their software after that exact mythical creature, so I don't think that's an argument that would make them reconsider.
I am working on an Arch installation in a VM that will be moved to an USB stick.
(09-09-2019, 05:17 PM)cleverwise Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 04:47 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: how about we just stop using it? it will disappear and the naming problems with it... outch! don't beat me in the head! i was just kidding guys! Big Grin

I agree.  Smile

Gnome v3 *Thumbs down*

Gnome v2... I mean MATE (no nome, gee-nome, gah-nome battles) *THUMBS UP!!!!! :-)*

It is true. Now, to be fare, gnome succeeded where windows 8 failed. Win8 was an attempt to make an OS working as good in touchscreens and in lap/desktops. Gnome, with all his keyboard shortcuts makes it easier to use in a PC than win8 with no shortcuts making you moving your mouse across the all screen all the time.

So i am not using gnome, i won't use it in my machine, but, if some day i get a surface pro or any hybrid laptop, it will probably Run a gnome 3. Because in a touch screen it makes a lot of sense.

------------------------

@TarsolyGer It is true, in hungarian you spell as you pronounce. In the other hand, you use a lot of grammatical cases. I mean, you can not have all the complexities at once, right? Smile
(09-10-2019, 07:56 AM)Tuxinho Wrote: @TarsolyGer It is true, in hungarian you spell as you pronounce. In the other hand, you use a lot of grammatical cases. I mean, you can not have all the complexities at once, right? Smile

Yeah well, I heard a theory which says that every language has about the same amount of complexity, but each have it at a different place Big Grin
And what we usually see as the simplification / deterioration of the language, that is also just moving the complexity from one place to an other.
I am working on an Arch installation in a VM that will be moved to an USB stick.