Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu without GUI
So I've been thinking for quite a while about making a GUI-less Linux, probably as a spin of an existing distro. I'd been looking at quite a few distros that would allow me to do this; Antix, for example, lets you install it without a GUI, so I tried it on one of my netbooks, and there were a lot of little things missing, like it not suspending when ou close the lid.

Then I tried Ubuntu netinstall, and it's PERFECT. It recognized my hardware out of the box, it has all the background stuff set up, it even suspends when I close the lid! It has some weird text come up when you open the lid, but still! It's like magic.

The other issue I had was getting a tool to distribute an ISO file, and none of the tools I saw really did it for me. Another issue, how would I distribute this?  So then I had a thought: Why not distribute it as a BASH script? It won't really be a spin, but if you install Ubuntu with the netinstall ISO and run the BASH script, the installer will take care of background, low level stuff, and the script will set up some user-level stuff. Plus, I can just host the BASH script on my Neocities.

Why:
  • Because it's cool
  • Because I can
  • Because this can make potatoes, already the most versatile crop, even more versatile
Here's a list of things it would do:
  • Install wicd-curses, tmux/tmux-plugin-manager, wordgrinder, frotz, moc, w3m/w3m-img, youtube-dl,fim, mpv (I think this might be installed by default?)
  • Configure tmux and start it at boot (would like to add clock, along with battery indicator for those on laptops)
  • Set up the home folder (add things like Documents, Downloads, etc, because those aren't created by default)
Some things I'm not sure about how to do:
  • Start tmux at boot
  • Add a battery indicator to tmux, but only if the user is on a laptop; not sure if this is even possible?
  • Fix that weird thing where the system spits out some text after waking up; again, not sure if it's even possible, but more of an annoyance than anything
  • Volume controls for things like moc
  • Not sure if I should do a setup for an SSH server in the script, or just tell people who want it to select it at install
Finally, does anybody know how I can add a file to a virtual machine so I can test the script more easily?

If anybody has any suggestions for applications/configurations, I'd be happy to hear them!
As far as adding a file to a virtual machine, you could pass along a folder to your virtual machine from the host. Most vm tools should let you do this. I know that virtual box can.

Good luck man. Sounds interesting.
Wouldnt LINUX without a GUI then just become a server ?

If that is the case then why use Ubuntu ?

I managed to install NETINSTALL of Debian and add X and XFCE to it by hand few months back
The easiest way to do this is to use Debian, as all Ubuntu flavors come with too much preinstalled stuff, and the server version of ubuntu is kind of meh and takes a long time to setup compared to Debian. Also, it requires an internet connection, whereas you can get full DVD images for debian which allow you not only to install the OS, but software offline as well.

I've also had a fascination with living in the terminal for everyday use, and have done so to a limited degree with my raspberry pi's. One great advantage is that your hardware basically doesn't matter.

w3m is great for web browsing.

mpsyt works great for browsing youtube (be sure to install the latest version via pip) -- also be sure to configure it to 

search more than just music videos, which is its default.

I prefer screen to tmux.

Vim is always my go to text editor, but if you want something simpler and better than nano, check out "micro"

I've had problems with wicd breaking my networking. It deletes a link file that breaks connectivity. I suggest learning the low level commands for connecting to wifi networks, or just using an ethernet connection. The former is a bit difficult at first and there are a lot of not so good tutorials and different ways of doing it.

Learn to mount usb drives and the like if you haven't already. It's quite easy.

alsamixer works well for audio.

Hmm... am I missing anything else?