Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible to move 18.3 home folder to 19.2 tower?
I have Mint 18.3 running on a decrepit Lenovo Tower. I am getting a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7050 I intend to blow out and do a fresh install of Mint 19.2.  Is there a simple way (ie. not involving moving harddrives from tower  to tower) to just move all my data at once to the new machine? I guess I could clone the 18.3 to the new tower, then do an upgrade to 19.2, but I like the idea of of having a "from scratch" clean install of 19.2.  The video's I've seen on YouTube don't seem to cover this exact scenario...
Copy your home directory from one machine to the other with a USB stick or any other storage device you prefer. That's all there is to it.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3
(09-04-2019, 08:06 AM)cliffcoggin Wrote: Copy your home directory from one machine to the other with a USB stick or any other storage device you prefer. That's all there is to it.

It's that simple? The differences in CPU, RAM, HD size, etc. have no effect? Just install Mint 19.2 on the new machine and trade out the old 18.3 home folder with the 19.2 home directory? I'm really quite new at actual hands on messing with the system internals. Do I have to use the same user name on the new tower or can I change it to something a little friendlier?
Normally, the username doesn't matter. The important thing is the user id. So, to avoid any greater hassle, you probably should try to ensure, that your new user has the same id, as the old one. Otherwise you will have a bit more work in front of you, although even that wouldn't be too much of a problem.
Hi Cymri,

Just to make sure: do you want to copy the all folder or just your data?
To make sure the user name or id doesn't mater, copy every thing form PC1 to P2, for example, through SSH and replace the video, image (etc) folder from PC2 with the ones in PC1. SSH or USB stick at the end of the day have the same results. With rsync it is easy to do both ways.
This is assuming a fresh install on your second tower.

About the clowning solution, unfortunately i don't know much about it, i never tried it my self. But i tried to upgrade a mint from 18.3 to 19.0 and it didn't went so well. Maybe i did something wrong? Anyhow I ended up doing a fresh install. And to be honest, in a time perspective, it is almost faster to do a fresh update. So, sorry if i am not the greatest help on this specific mater.
Cymri,
You could always update the decrepit tower to 19.2, then when the new machine comes in transfer the /home directory from one to the other. Just a thought. Good luck!
LinuxMint 19.2 (Cinnamon)
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009