Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timeshift SD approaching "Full" ...
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a little advice regarding my "Timeshift" storage. I currently use a 32Gb SD Card, which has only got 4Gb of spare storage remaining. My question is .... Beside replacing this SD card for something larger, is there any approved procedure for deleting existing snapshots to make room for new versions?

Thanks in anticipation for any advice .....
Live as if you were die tomorrow .... Learn as if you were to live forever.

Mahatma Gandhi .....
If you launch the Timeshift GUI application, you can select snapshots and delete them. You should be able to safely delete the oldest snapshots.

By all means find a larger storage device. On my system, I have 12 snapshots taking up about 27GB (5 daily, 3 weekly, 2 monthly, and 2 I created).
If you want to stick with the existing SD card you will need to reduce the number of snapshots you save. You can either do that by manually deleting them or by setting a smaller number on the set up screen.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3
(09-03-2019, 09:18 PM)rickromig Wrote: If you launch the Timeshift GUI application, you can select snapshots and delete them. You should be able to safely delete the oldest snapshots.

By all means find a larger storage device. On my system, I have 12 snapshots taking up about 27GB (5 daily, 3 weekly, 2 monthly, and 2 I created).

Thanks for the prompt response and advice rickroming ....

I originally set up "Timeshift" following advice within Joe Collins' video tutorial. My originally installed distro was Cinnamon Mint 19.1, which I've since updated to 19.2 ....

In the video, he suggested that a snapshot should be recorded immediately after installation, which I completed as instructed.
If I understood Joe's tutorial correctly. he mentioned that each update is not a full back-up, just the additional software which has been installed since the last snapshot, thus reducing the space used .... have I understood this correctly?

If I change the schedule and number of snapshots, will this automatically delete any unnecessary existing snapshots, or will I need to do this manually?

Thanks for your help with this ....

Mahatma Gandhi .....
timeshift is not really reliable
consider a true Backup first...
https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/issues
(09-04-2019, 03:30 AM)mexsudo Wrote: timeshift is not really reliable

Rubbish. Timeshift is utterly reliable if you use it as intended, which is to backup your operating system. Once you stretch it to include home and other data then you should not be surprised if it lets you down. For the purpose of data backup you need an additional application.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3
Hello, I am running version 19.08. I usually only keep about 4 snapshots then if all is well I delete all of them and redo with a fresh snapshot. I manually do snapshots myself that way I can install comment as to when it was done, for info purposes. It takes a little longer but I like being in control of when it's done.
(09-04-2019, 03:30 AM)mexsudo Wrote: timeshift is not really reliable
consider a true Backup first...
https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/issues

(09-04-2019, 09:37 PM)TheGreyStrummer Wrote: Yeah ... I actually use Joe Collins' BU software (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvAQYh20KU&t=1762s) for the main system, and use Timeshift as advised by him, for the extra programmes and software additions.

My current snapshot schedules/levels are  ..... "Keep" ... 2 Monthly ... 3 Weekly ... 5 Daily. Could all these be reduced to one? 

Thanks ...  Wink

Mahatma Gandhi .....
(09-04-2019, 09:39 PM)TheGreyStrummer Wrote: My current snapshot schedules/levels are  ..... "Keep" ... 2 Monthly ... 3 Weekly ... 5 Daily. Could all these be reduced to one? 

Thanks ...  Wink

Hi!

I think keeping 2 monthly backups is reasonable (it can even be important), having 3 weekly can be too much, especially if you have to optimize for space, as the 3rd weekly one will be only 1-2 weeks away from the 1st monthly one, so in my estimation, that can be reduced to 2 weekly. For the dailies, I would think 3 should be sufficient, I mean, if you suddenly have a problem with an update, you go back to the first daily backup of yesterday. It is possible, that you don't realize that there's a problem with an update as you haven't used the software that got borked, in that case, you maybe go back 2-3 days, but in my opinion, going back 4 days or a week makes no big difference, as in, you probably don't update your system every day anyways.
So if you need to optimize for space, I'd go with 2 monthly, 2 weekly and 3 daily.
I am working on an Arch installation in a VM that will be moved to an USB stick.
(09-05-2019, 10:29 AM)TarsolyGer Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 09:39 PM)TheGreyStrummer Wrote: My current snapshot schedules/levels are  ..... "Keep" ... 2 Monthly ... 3 Weekly ... 5 Daily. Could all these be reduced to one? 

Thanks ...  Wink

Hi!

I think keeping 2 monthly backups is reasonable (it can even be important), having 3 weekly can be too much, especially if you have to optimize for space, as the 3rd weekly one will be only 1-2 weeks away from the 1st monthly one, so in my estimation, that can be reduced to 2 weekly. For the dailies, I would think 3 should be sufficient, I mean, if you suddenly have a problem with an update, you go back to the first daily backup of yesterday. It is possible, that you don't realize that there's a problem with an update as you haven't used the software that got borked, in that case, you maybe go back 2-3 days, but in my opinion, going back 4 days or a week makes no big difference, as in, you probably don't update your system every day anyways.
So if you need to optimize for space, I'd go with 2 monthly, 2 weekly and 3 daily.

Thanks for the advice guys ... much appreciated. ;-)

Mahatma Gandhi .....