Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(SOLVED) Diacritics in Mint
Exclamation 
I am not sure my problem is caused by Mint.
On my other PC (Windows) the same version of WPS Office does not give me this problem.

I use Romanian diacritics: ș ț ă î â Ș Ț Ă Î Â
In my WPS Office documents, the șȘ and țȚ are not being diplayed correct.
They are bigger and without serif in the serif fonts.
Here is a screen capture.

.png   Screenshot from 2019-09-02 13-02-32.png (Size: 12.06 KB / Downloads: 5)

What should I check in Mint settings?
Wps Office forum for Linux version does not work, when I try to login I receive a coding error and I just do not know where to find help.

Ovi.
(09-02-2019, 05:47 PM)ovisergiu Wrote: I am not sure my problem is caused by Mint.
On my other PC (Windows) the same version of WPS Office does not give me this problem.

I use Romanian diacritics: ș ț ă î â Ș Ț Ă Î Â
In my WPS Office documents, the șȘ and țȚ are not being diplayed correct.
They are bigger and without serif in the serif fonts.
Here is a screen capture.

What should I check in Mint settings?
Wps Office forum for Linux version does not work, when I try to login I receive a coding error and I just do not know where to find help.

Ovi.

Is your keyboard layout set for Romanian?
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Thank you much for replying, Jeremy!
Yes, my keyboard is set for Romanian layout (if it would not be set for Romanian, I believe I could not type those diacritics)
I have both English and Romanian (I switch using Left ALT + Left Shift).
I also have Libre Office and this problem is not present there.
(09-02-2019, 07:07 PM)ovisergiu Wrote: Thank you much for replying, Jeremy!
Yes, my keyboard is set for Romanian layout (if it would not be set for Romanian, I believe I could not type those diacritics)
I have both English and Romanian (I switch using Left ALT + Left Shift).
I also have Libre Office and this problem is not present there.

Well I admit my experience with non English languages is limited.  Still I have had to installed language packs for clients.

Is the full language pack installed for Romanian?
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Hi, Jeremy, thank you for replying!
I noticed in fact, that the same problem is present also in Gmail when I am writing an email with Romanian diacritics...
In fact, I believe only LibreOffice does NOT have that problem, but in the other software I encounter that problem.
Regarding the language packs, I search for „language” in Mint and I noticed Romanian was not installed. I just installed it and I have to restart my PC but momentarily I am doing something and I just can not restart it. I will come back with a message after I manage to restart it.
Hi there,

I am not sure to identify the problem's source. One thing that seems possible: is something wrong with your locales? maybe?
Can you type this diacritics in your terminal? if you do:
Code:
$echo ș ț ă î â Ș Ț Ă Î Â
and press enter, do they all display correctly in the answer?

If not, hopefully it is something wrong in your locale settings. Here is a link with all sortes of details about the locales.
https://www.tecmint.com/set-system-locales-in-linux/
If it is not enough, try to see an archlinux installation guide. It is needed to manually set locale in the arch linux installation.

If it is not the locales, sadly i have no clue what can be the problem's source.
Question 
Hi, Tuxinho and thank you for you reply.
After pasting the command you suggested, I got this answer:

Code:
ș: command not found
I also read that article but I do not understand what to do... but I can tell you that after my last post where I announced I installed Romanian language pack, I restarted my computer and then in keyboard layouts I could see these layouts: Romanian, Romanian (cedilla), Romanian (Germany), Romanian (Germany no dead keys), Romanian (standard), Romanian (standard cedilla), Romanian (Win Keys).
I have tried all of those but I found that only Romanian (standard) is CLOSE to what Romanian layout should be. I say that because the cedilla versions are not correct since Romanian diacritics do not have cedilla (as suggested by Romanian linguistics). I wrote „Romanian (standard) is close” because the characters/diacritic characters are not displayed correct: „ș” and „ț” are bigger than „s” and „t” and also they are non-serif in any used font (including the serif ones):
[Image: screen14.png]
(09-10-2019, 01:29 PM)ovisergiu Wrote: Hi, Tuxinho and thank you for you reply.
After pasting the command you suggested, I got this answer:

Code:
ș: command not found
I also read that article but I do not understand what to do... but I can tell you that after my last post where I announced I installed Romanian language pack, I restarted my computer and then in keyboard layouts I could see these layouts: Romanian, Romanian (cedilla), Romanian (Germany), Romanian (Germany no dead keys), Romanian (standard), Romanian (standard cedilla), Romanian (Win Keys).
I have tried all of those but I found that only Romanian (standard) is CLOSE to what Romanian layout should be. I say that because the cedilla versions are not correct since Romanian diacritics do not have cedilla (as suggested by Romanian linguistics). I wrote „Romanian (standard) is close” because the characters/diacritic characters are not displayed correct: „ș” and „ț” are bigger than „s” and „t” and also they are non-serif in any used font (including the serif ones):
[Image: screen14.png]

You are using a Romanian layout keyboard, correct?
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

Yes I do.
Can it be the ms-corefonts problem? I have heard the linux package is dated from 1999 or the fonts come from 1999 and in that time they had this flaw I encounter.
If the echo command is not working in your terminal i strongly believe  the problem is your locale. I had the same problem with the French keyboard before.
If i have to guess, i would say that during installation you selected English as a language and not Romanian. Am i right?

Before continuing, the locale is the language your linux system is set into. It works as a few variables and your system looks at this to know how it should write. It is not the best way to explain it, but it is the easiest.
Now; if, in your terminal you can not get your diacritics, i believe it your system it is not set correctly.
In my computer, in my termnal, if i type:
Code:
locale

the first line i see is:
Code:
LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8

after this is see a lot of different lines all starting with LC_ and all ending with "LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8". But the first one only is important here.
When you type the locale command, is your first line correctly displaying  LANG=ro_RO.UTF-8 ?

If not this is the problem we need to fixe.