Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Linux more user friendly (1)
I wanted to share my thoughts as an ex-windows user about things (in my opinion) needs to be improved in Linux.
Today I installed Ubuntu Budgie in my Asus laptop to see how it is (I had Mint previously).
I tried turn on the screensaver.
I checked every possible "areas" on the menu and couldn't find.
Therefore I installed xscreensaver using the Synaptic. This was after making a research on web and realizing that xscreensaver was the best and (maybe?) my only option.
When I started the application I found an option that I like and selected. And this was from a long list of screensavers that for many of the items I got "Not installed" note. How those can be installed, I don't have a clue. But anyway, I found something nice.
Than I realized that there is no "OK" button. Meaning that probably that when I close the window the screensaver will be selected and activated. I hope...
I clicked the "File" option in the top menu. There was 2 options: 1) Start deamon 2) Kill deamon.
And now, say, my kids or my mum tries to use this software...What they need to understand from those options?
What it means for a normal person "Start or Kill deamon"?
They could't give a little more "normal" description?
Those are little things that add technicalities for novice users...in my opinion.

PS. BTW Ubuntu Budgie is really nice!
(08-31-2019, 05:12 PM)King_Solomon Wrote: I tried turn on the screensaver.

Modern displays don't suffer from burn-ins as badly as older displays, so a screensaver is rarely pre-installed in modern desktop distributions.

(08-31-2019, 05:12 PM)King_Solomon Wrote: I clicked the "File" option in the top menu. There was 2 options: 1) Start deamon 2) Kill deamon.
And now, say, my kids or my mum tries to use this software...What they need to understand from those options? What it means for a normal person "Start or Kill deamon"?

A 'daemon' is a process which runs in the background on UNIXoid operating systems.

For a "normal person" that might mean nothing, but that is OK, as those options are only for debugging and therefore only for people who know what they are doing. If you operate xscreensaver in a normal way, you will never have to manually start or stop the daemon, as a xscreensaver service should be running. If I remember correctly, the xscreensaver package automatically enables the service during installation.

(08-31-2019, 05:12 PM)King_Solomon Wrote: Those are little things that add technicalities for novice users...in my opinion.

As I said, those options are simply not for novice users.

A lot of options and in fact entire applications are not for novice users.

Unlike windows, Linux (and applications running on it) does not solely cater to the unexperienced user, but also towards people who know what they are doing. That might be confusing at first, but you'll get used to it. And when you get to that level of experience yourself, you will most likely appreciate that.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(08-31-2019, 05:12 PM)King_Solomon Wrote: I wanted to share my thoughts as an ex-windows user about things (in my opinion) needs to be improved in Linux.
Today I installed Ubuntu Budgie in my Asus laptop to see how it is (I had Mint previously).
I tried turn on the screensaver.
Therefore I installed xscreensaver using the Synaptic. This was after making a research on web and realizing that xscreensaver was the best and (maybe?) my only option.
When I started the application I found an option that I like and selected. And this was from a long list of screensavers that for many of the items I got "Not installed" note. How those can be installed, I don't have a clue. But anyway, I found something nice.
Than I realized that there is no "OK" button. Meaning that probably that when I close the window the screensaver will be selected and activated. I hope...
I clicked the "File" option in the top menu. There was 2 options: 1) Start deamon 2) Kill deamon.
And now, say, my kids or my mum tries to use this software...What they need to understand from those options?
What it means for a normal person "Start or Kill deamon"?
They could't give a little more "normal" description?
Those are little things that add technicalities for novice users...in my opinion.

PS. BTW Ubuntu Budgie is really nice!

Many distros aren't newbie friendly.  In all honesty Linux Mint and Ubuntu MATE are better for newbies.

Ubuntu MATE was created by Martin Wimpress to help his non technical family and friends use Linux.  I personally prefer MATE over Mint for many reasons.  Ubuntu MATE also comes with a screensaver (several) preinstalled.  It also tends to not use such techie terms in the menus.

The choice of distro is very important to match the needs of the end user.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer