Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shutdown Problem
I try to shutdown Ubuntu Mate 18.04.3 and it is locking up on the 2 second dot on the shutdown screen.
PC is 
Lenovo B570
B950 Pentium
8GB
240GB Crucial BX500
Most Current Bios

I must do a hard shutdown, to power off. Any ideas?
LinuxMint 19.2 (Cinnamon)
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009
From your other thread I know you did a new install.  Have you run the update on the new install?

When you get the Mint Logo or dots during the shutdown hit the escape key.  It will display verbose shutdown information.

Also, you can review the syslog file for entries around the time of the shutdown.  Likewise, you can use the journalctl command to reivew the syslog.
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Photo 
Attached is a screen shot. Did update already.

(08-31-2019, 04:48 AM)John Swisher Wrote: Attached is a screen shot. Did update already.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0931.JPG (Size: 121.14 KB / Downloads: 15)
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009
From the screen shot it did not appear to be any errors. The computer is attempting to power off, and it is unsuccessful.
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

That is an odd error.  However I agree on the syslog review to see if the system is recording any issues.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(08-31-2019, 12:25 PM)cleverwise Wrote: That is an odd error.  However I agree on the syslog review to see if the system is recording any issues.

What should I look for? Thank you so much for your time.
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009
(08-31-2019, 05:22 PM)John Swisher Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 12:25 PM)cleverwise Wrote: That is an odd error.  However I agree on the syslog review to see if the system is recording any issues.

What should I look for? Thank you so much for your time.

I would search for warn and error.

Did you do a standard install or did you pick advanced and choose your own filesystem?  I am wondering if you are using LVM or ext4?

Another possibility is just do a reinstall.  I have seen bad installs for whatever reason something just didn't go correctly.  It happens.  Do backup any important data.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
There are no warning or errors showing. I did a normal installation with LVM, was recommended by the installer.

Searching the internet, it seems to have something to do with apci. The system will not let me edit the file with the "fixes". It will not allow me to use gedit at all after I added it.
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009
(08-31-2019, 09:52 PM)John Swisher Wrote: There are no warning or errors showing. I did a normal installation with LVM, was recommended by the installer.

Oh fraggle.  I never recommend LVM.  I personally would highly recommend reinstalling with standard ext4.  The odds are high something with the LVM process is mucking up the shutdown process.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

I will give that a try.
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009