Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
There’s No Place Like /home… Be Sure to Back it Up!
(09-27-2019, 09:36 AM)bob777 Wrote: I like to create a System Image on an External HDD say once a month...this way everything is backed up...if disaster strikes like HDD failure or I brake something and can't Re-Boot [Image: t3603.gif] I just place the Image back in about 15-20 mins with nothing lost.   [Image: m19042.gif]

I think there's nothing more important that your personal files. Those should be backed up much more readily than the system. You can always reinstall your OS and programs, but you'll have very hard time retake those photos you took 10 years ago Smile
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
(09-27-2019, 03:00 PM)TarsolyGer Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 09:36 AM)bob777 Wrote: I like to create a System Image on an External HDD say once a month...this way everything is backed up...if disaster strikes like HDD failure or I brake something and can't Re-Boot [Image: t3603.gif] I just place the Image back in about 15-20 mins with nothing lost.   [Image: m19042.gif]

I think there's nothing more important that your personal files. Those should be backed up much more readily than the system. You can always reinstall your OS and programs, but you'll have very hard time retake those photos you took 10 years ago Smile

For me backing up Home isn't enough...I place personal files like Music...Videos...Pictures etc on a separate HDD on a regular basis  [Image: m01101.gif] but I like to create an Image of everything on the Drive...for the reasons I've mentioned.  

Yes You can always Re-Install the OS but what about your Printer/Scanner...Web Browsers and Add-Ons/Sites...Software and not to mention Re-Installing heaps of Updates.  [Image: t3602.gif]  All of these would have to be Re-Installed and that takes much time...I can create an Image of say 100GB of Data in about 1hr 20mins verified and for me this is the best option.   [Image: t2020.gif]  You can put the Image on a HDD or SSD or another Computer and not have to Re-Install anything...which works for me.  [Image: m0115.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]