Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Micro$oft up to now?
Question 
exFAT in the Linux kernel? Yes!

Micro$oft is supporting the addition of Microsoft’s exFAT technology to the Linux kernel.

The John Gossman blog and exFat technical specs can be found in the followng link:
https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/opensou...ux-kernel/
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️

Just to add, the OMG Ubuntu article mentioning this stated that "code contributed [will be] licensed under GPLv2."

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/08/micr...nux-kernel
Many exFAT patents were released under the 60,000 patents MS allows when they joined Open Invention Network (OIN).

Now technically this only protects other Open Invention Network members and not the Internet at large.  Still groups, individuals, and companies may join for full legal protection.  However having said that it would be harder for MS to sue those not in the OIN when they have freely opened up the patents.

Many open source and groups/companies that make Linux and other open source software are members of the OIN.  Also, again, any one can join.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(08-29-2019, 02:42 PM)cleverwise Wrote: Now technically this only protects other Open Invention Network members and not the Internet at large.  Still groups, individuals, and companies may join for full legal protection. 

If  I get it right, the purpose of the OIN is, that if you join and open up your patents to other members, you can also use the patents of the other members. Sharing is caring Smile
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
(08-30-2019, 01:52 AM)TarsolyGer Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 02:42 PM)cleverwise Wrote: Now technically this only protects other Open Invention Network members and not the Internet at large.  Still groups, individuals, and companies may join for full legal protection. 

If  I get it right, the purpose of the OIN is, that if you join and open up your patents to other members, you can also use the patents of the other members. Sharing is caring Smile

That pretty much sums it up. Smile

There are a lot of well known and big companies in that group like Google, Red Hat, etc.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer