Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Art World needs to embrace Linux!
I'm a professional artist and, essentially, if your aren't using Mac/Windows/Adobe it's very difficult, if not impossible, to get along in this industry. I honestly see Linux/FOSS as counter cultural/anti-corporate which is in line with the ethos of many artists I know but why can't this industry break out of its corporate shell when there is free software that, if not fully capable of replacing Adobe software, would be if more people joined the free software movement?
This is quite important. This is why we see Apple and Adobe in artistic courses in universities, and also why we see Microsoft products in the public schools.

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/cu6mwb/the_art_world_needs_to_embrace_linux/][/url]
I've no doubt you are right, but you are preaching to the converted here.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
(08-27-2019, 05:13 PM)boss992 Wrote: I'm a professional artist and, essentially, if your aren't using Mac/Windows/Adobe it's very difficult, if not impossible, to get along in this industry. I honestly see Linux/FOSS as counter cultural/anti-corporate which is in line with the ethos of many artists I know but why can't this industry break out of its corporate shell when there is free software that, if not fully capable of replacing Adobe software, would be if more people joined the free software movement?
This is quite important. This is why we see Apple and Adobe in artistic courses in universities, and also why we see Microsoft products in the public schools.

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/cu6mwb/the_art_world_needs_to_embrace_linux/][/url]

Hi boss992,

If artists weren't such followers of artists there would be more to choose from. There is a lot of software out there that does the same as adobe, apple, premiere and other proprietary software. The thing is that when i talk to artists they almost always have some other artists who is successful whom is using a Mac/apple. So their conclusion: if i do the same then i will become successful to.
You are the one that can choose the stuff you want to use.
I am an artist myself and i use only the software that i want.....and i am on a Linux pc.

It is always up to the person himself to decide what to use or not. It is not somebody else's choice that you have to follow......Be an ARTISTS...be yourself.....don't follow

Cheers,

And yes, you are preaching to the converted...lol
You are starting to see some shifting away.  In fact the person that does graphics for my company only uses Linux.

It is some what ironic that she was commenting about this today at lunch in fact.  She mentioned seeing a post of another professional graphics guy who stated he rarely uses his Photoshop application anymore.  He now lives in GIMP and Blender.  Now granted he was still on Windows but still the shift is happening.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Quote:You are starting to see some shifting away.  In fact the person that does graphics for my company only uses Linux.

YES! See Linux is showing up in the office's.!!!  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I just love it everytime I see someone make the statement "In my Office we have Linux ----"....  Wink
Yes I am nuts, I like to thing it is in a goodway, make me feel better... Lol

Been in IT (was not called that back then), been in Computer repair/tech, Sold and ran a Computer Store and I have not seen anything to bad about Linux (nothing is perfect) not like Windows...
I had Sabayon on a system years ago and it took days to get working. Now it is 15 minutes an you have a full system running and ready to creat what you want... Fantastic!

So to the Artist's out there.. YOU Have Options today that were not around just a few years ago. Like was stated in another post, Don't Follow, make your own choice, You Have More Options... 

LLAP
(08-29-2019, 07:16 AM)bescott9944 Wrote:
Quote:You are starting to see some shifting away.  In fact the person that does graphics for my company only uses Linux.

Sorry but I don't see a thing except a faint blueness where there should be a quotation.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
(08-29-2019, 03:44 PM)cliffcoggin Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 07:16 AM)bescott9944 Wrote:

Sorry but I don't see a thing except a faint blueness where there should be a quotation.

Sorry about that.. I went back and fixed the post. the text was black in the Dark Theme...  Huh

I am using the Ezeedark theme, it is easier on my eyes and it was fine there... 
I give up! I will just have to look at the white Default Theme...  Sad 
LLAP
Taglines of the BBS Days:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. 
  Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk
    Not everything in life is a 1 or a 0.
       Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again...
(08-27-2019, 05:13 PM)boss992 Wrote: I'm a professional artist and, essentially, if your aren't using Mac/Windows/Adobe it's very difficult, if not impossible, to get along in this industry.<snip>

I am planning on getting back into Audio Vlogging. I have done broadcast voice work in the past. I have done editing on Reel to Reel. Stuff of nightmares.

This time it will be all FOSS.