Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mint vs Sprint
Can't speak for you guys but in my experience I have had excellent service here in Texas with Sprint. That's not to say I have super fast LTE everywhere I go but it's nothing to complain about either. No dropped calls or anything.
I'm thinking I should pay off my lease with Sprint and bring my phone to mint and stick with them. A few concerns:
  1. I understand mint uses T-Mobile network so I'm concerned about their service quality and also the signal penetration through buildings. What is you guys experience on these issues ?

2. LTE speed. I don't mind have subpar speeds, I don't need to watch Netflix on the go or anything maybe the occasional YouTube clip.

3. International coverage in Asia. Is there slow 2g or 3G speeds + texting in foreign countries. No, I'm not talking about north America (Canada and Mexico)

4. Overall experience and user reviews. Do tell.
If I commit to this, I would be saving over 600 a year. Is it worth the trade off? Also I'm bringing a Google pixel 3 XL and an Essential ph-1 phone. Are those compatible. Do I have to unlock them or anything through sprint first ?
I don't think this forum is the correct place for this question.

Here we talk about general usage of computer operating systems based on the Linux kernel, especially Linux Mint and Ubuntu.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(08-27-2019, 09:39 PM)leon.p Wrote: I don't think this forum is the correct place for this question.

Here we talk about general usage of computer operating systems based on the Linux kernel, especially Linux Mint and Ubuntu.

This thread has been moved to the general category.  Mint, in this case, is a reseller of T-Mobile and I think where the confusion started.

At any rate I personally use T-Mobile resellers: At present Ting (although switching to Verizon next year) and SimpleMobile (in Mint family).  The network is T-Mobile and most resellers network wise are no worse than the primary carrier in this case T-Mobile.  A few MVNO's do cause slow downs like Cricket (who resellers AT&T).

I personally prefer the T-Mobile network over the other big three in the USA (Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint).  However Sprint is going away as T-Mobile has bought them so in the USA it will be T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T as primaries.

No network is 100% prefect and all have dead zones.  It really comes down to does a network work in the areas you visit?  The two biggest are work and home.  I will say many MVNO's (Mobile Virtual Network Operators) like SimpleMobile support Wifi Calling and Text if the phone supports it.  I know the Google Pixels have this ability.  I currently use a Google Pixel XL (version one).  When I am at home I use the Wifi network for my calls and texts even though the T-Mobile network works fine.  This is best as the phone lasts longer since the signal is local and not to some tower further away and thus means less power needed for the transmission.

However most of the MVNO's don't work as well when travelling overseas.  Most USA MVNO's are fine for in country usage and perhaps Canada.  SimpleMobile does work in some South American countries.  The best MVNO is Google Fi for world coverage.  Still if you travel a lot to Asia I would just use T-Mobile.

When I switched from T-Mobile to SimpleMobile the speeds stayed the same.  I get LTE almost everywhere I go and because of band 12 I get good coverage in buildings.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer