Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Launch Wine Applications Universal Way?
How does one launch a wine application? I have been using this which has worked for most of my games but I am unable to create a launcher using this in Linux Mint Cinnamon and whenI launch a game with this command sometimes it will not work and the game will appear broken. However when I launch the game within PlayOnLinux, all is fine.

Code:
WINEPREFIX="/usr/share/WinePrefixes/MyWinePrefix" wine "C:\Path\To\Executable.exe"

When you create a desktop shortcut for a PlayOnLinux wine app, the command looks like this

Code:
/usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Executable" %F

Why would the POL command work and not the first command which selects the wine prefix and runs the application?
I don't know how you installed WINE but when I install it it ends up in the /home/username directory not the /usr/share directory and if I recall correctly the last time I installed POL it ended up in /home/username also.

This is the commandline copied from my menu for the only thing I have in WINE right now, I did not make this line the program did it when it installed.

env WINEPREFIX="/home/basil/.wine32" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/basil/.wine32/dosdevices/c:/users/basil/Start\ Menu/Programs/Star\ Trek\ New\ Worlds/Play\ Star\ Trek\ New\ Worlds.lnk

I use MATE DE but don't think it makes a difference to this.
I can right click it in the menu and add it to the panel but not to the desktop.

Maybe this will be helpful to you.
(08-24-2019, 05:51 PM)spudnuts Wrote: env WINEPREFIX="/home/basil/.wine32" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/basil/.wine32/dosdevices/c:/users/basil/Start\ Menu/Programs/Star\ Trek\ New\ Worlds/Play\ Star\ Trek\ New\ Worlds.lnk

That does work. Is there a way to have the exe that you want to run use the windows C:\ drive path instead of the unix path?
I am not sure but I think it comes down to how lazy the programmer was when it comes to following proper guidelines when codeing the program.
I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time.
http://nbiclearance.today/
I tried this command and it does launch the game but with the same error messages...

Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/media/Games/Applications/SimCity" wine "C:\windows\command\start.exe" /Dos "C:\MAXIS\SIMCITYW\SCW.EXE"

When I use this command it works without the error messages...

Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/media/Games/Applications/SimCity" wine "C:\windows\command\start.exe" /Unix "/media/Games/Applications/SimCity/drive_c/MAXIS/SIMCITYW/SCW.EXE"

Is there a way to run a wine app using the windows file path C:/ drive instead of the unix path?
Can someone help me with Lucas Chess? I have run this program under wine in the past but I recently wiped my disk and installed MX Linux 18. Now I can't get Lucas Chess to work even though i downloaded Wine from Synaptic and also from the Wine site. Funny thing is that a notepad program does work with wine so what am I doing wrong?
(09-10-2019, 08:49 AM)frank124c@gmail.com Wrote: Can someone help me with Lucas Chess? I have run this program under wine in the past but I recently wiped my disk and installed MX Linux 18. Now I can't get Lucas Chess to work even though i downloaded Wine from Synaptic and also from the Wine site. Funny thing is that a notepad program does work with wine so what am I doing wrong?

You'll have an easier time if you use PlayOnLinux instead.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer