Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milkdrop Music Visualiser - How to get Milkdrop/ProjectM running Under Ubuntu Easily?
Question 
Hello Smile 

I'm looking for some info on getting the popular music visualiser Milkdrop working on my Ubuntu Mate installation.

Milkdrop/ProjectM is a Music Visualiser. That is it changes the visualisations on screen with your music. Under windows, using Winamp. Milkdrop was just a quick install. Just drop the plugin into the plugins folder, restart and away you go. It was so popular that eventually it became packaged with winamp by default.

When I switched to Ubuntu, this was something I've really missed. It is ported to linux as ProjectM however as a complete newbie I am yet to be able to get it working, at all, or even find any up to date or working tutorials demonstrating in an easily understandable way on how to get it working with music players in Ubuntu. (The closest I found was with the music player Amarok with it's visualisation plugins, but that functionality seems to have inexplicably vanished Huh )

So, in short, I humbly request a genuinely newbie friendly guide to getting ProjectM (Milkdrop) running under Ubuntu. I have seen some on youtube and some text guides. But most are either out of date, or are simply not genuinely newbie friendly.

P.s. I'm also open to learning/sharing about other similar music visualisers if anyone knows good ones for linux. It's just that Milkdrop has been designed to be modular, and as such there are now thousands of visualisations that anyone can make, download and easily add. Which has of course expanded it's appeal a thousandfold.

Many, many thanks for any and all help mercifully offered. Here's a video example of Milkdrop/ProjectM doing what it does...

Milkdrop 2.0 Winamp Visualizations

Hello,
How are you trying to install ProjectM?

I went to there GitHub page and downloaded their latest Build source code from here!
This is the latest Release. I downloaded the file from the 3.1.1-rc4 Release
Under that section is a Asset tab that says "Asset 6".... then there is a Source Code (zip) and (tar.gz) file(s). Download the one you want to use.
Once the file is downloaded to your download folder you need to extract it somewhere. You then need to make a folder (I have a TMP folder) in your /home/user_name folder where you keep all your files and pictures...
Once you have the file extracted to your /tmp folder, go into the folder that was created in your file manager and look for a file called, BUILD.md.
Double click on the file and it will open in a text editor. You will see the following;

Quote:./configure --enable-sdl
make
sudo make install
```

### Install Linux (debian/ubuntu) dependencies
---------------------------------------------------------
sudo apt install autoconf libtool libsdl2-dev libglm-dev qt5-default qtdeclarative5-dev libqt5opengl5-dev libjack-dev libpulse-dev libsdl-dev

NOW, Go to the /tmp folder in your file manager and then open the Source Cold folder and open a "Terminal" by right clicking anywhere in the folder and in the popup menu select "Open A Terminal Here"..... It is critical that you stay in the source code directory.!!!
Then all you have to do is follow the instructions in the BUILD.mb (above text) by typing the commands in the terminal and you should be golden. I would install the dependencies 1st...

You should already have the dependencies installed I think But I would try to install dependencies one at a time as see above.

Just run the Apt command (sudo apt install FILE NAME as shown above) in the open terminal, try them all.
Note, you will be asked for your password several times(maybe)... Apt will prompt you if they are already installed and ask if you want to reinstall the again...
Then use the other 3 commands to build and install the program..

I just installed ViFm program and compiled it the same way as the above instructions show.
I have NOT installed the program. This is just what I read and trying to make it easier kinda...
As far how to make it work, I can not help with that....
Good luck!
LLAP
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.
Thank you so much, I *really* appreciate you taking the time to write these instructions! I hope these help many other people who are stuck as well. If anyone else more familiar with ProjectM can add anything to help, please add it here to be found.
(08-27-2019, 06:16 AM)happycode Wrote: Thank you so much, I *really* appreciate you taking the time to write these instructions! I hope these help many other people who are stuck as well. If anyone else more familiar with ProjectM can add anything to help, please add it here to be found.

Your welcome!
Believe it or not, it took me a hour or so to write that... After checking and rechecking what I wrote and the wording. I am 1/2 blind and have dyslexia on top of that, and like lots of folks, my fingers do there own thing from time to time... Lol
As I am a (2 year old) Noob to Linux myself, I like to share my journey on Linux with others....  Smile
LLAP
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.