Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to prepare USB stick for BU
I am trying to prepare a USB stick for BackUp that has a capacity of 2.1TB (I'm not kidding). It doesn't have a specific brand; it is a generic USB that has a name of "General UDisk". I followed Joe's video on how to do this. I formatted the drive, decided to fill the entire thing,
named it BU_Drive, and made sure its type is set for ext4. Instead of mounting, I got the following error:

Quote:Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/gmp/BU_Drive: wrong fs type, bad
option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or other program,
or other error

Perhaps 2.1TB is too much capacity?
I question that capacity in this day.  There are many generic sticks that report fake capacities.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(08-19-2019, 12:16 PM)GMP79 Wrote: a capacity of 2.1TB

This is giant a red flag.

(08-19-2019, 12:16 PM)GMP79 Wrote: It doesn't have a specific brand;

Another giant red flag.

I agree with cleverwise that the capacity reported by the drive is mostlikely not real.

You simply can not trust drives you get from Ebay, Wish, AliExpress or other such sites.
Even on Amazon you will find fake drives. If they appear to good to be real, they are not real.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
I myself was taken in on a larger usb stick they were sold as 64 gb but would not work properly after much hunting online I found that they were actually 16 gb and I was able to to find a program that would fix the firmware to report correctly and was able to use them just fine for a couple of years, my research showed that a lot of the no name sticks are ones that failed testing and some cheeseball company overwrote the firmware and sold them anyhow.
What a shame. I was hoping to back up my 1.5TB / partition before it may be corrupted.

Now I have to go back to my old ways and use the Disks program to create a partition image on my 4TB external HDD while counting on it not to fail.

Many thanks!
Well I don't think it is a good idea to trust a device that has a problem after formatting period.  It should not create errors when simply formatting a device.

I do have some drives that are really old and untrusted.  I store non critical items that I don't mind if the data gets lost or corrupted as it can be regenerated.

Also in my opinion using any USB stick for backing up is not a great idea.  USB sticks aren't as robust as drives (SSD, M.2, HDD).
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer