Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need antivirus if I use Wine?
(08-19-2019, 07:28 PM)cleverwise Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 05:30 PM)trymeout Wrote: When I click on a EXE file in my Nemo file manager it does run the EXE. The EXE file I tested was stored in my /home/me/Downloads/ folder. How do I have it so it will not run the EXE at all within Nemo?

1) In your file manager right click over an exe to bring up menu.  Then go to option that says "Open with another application..." or something similar.  I use Caja.

2) Left click once to highlight say your preferred text editor.

3) Check the box at bottom that says something like "Always use x to open".

This should associate exe's with that specific program by default.

I am using Linux Mint cinnamon so I changed the default program for EXE files to be Nemo which is my file manager. By doing this step will this make Wine safe to use without antivirus (for the most part) unless I start installing suspicious EXE files?
That will better protect your system as exe files should not be auto executed.  You are as safe as you can be with WINE installed.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Hello,

I understand pretty well the risks of using wine.

But il like to ask: is proton using wine? I think it is. And if it is, how can we apply the above advice?

I am not currently using it. I kind of gave up on games, but it is out of curiosity, and it may help futur readers.
(08-22-2019, 08:37 AM)Tuxinho Wrote: Hello,

I understand pretty well the risks of using wine.

But il like to ask: is proton using wine? I think it is. And if it is, how can we apply the above advice?

I am not currently using it. I kind of gave up on games, but it is out of curiosity, and it may help future readers.

Yes Proton is based on WINE.  It was developed by CodeWeavers for Valve (Steam company).  The project has been open sourced and is on GitHub.

At the time of this posting I have never run Proton so I am not 100% with that program.  However you basically just don't want exe's running when you double click on them in your file manager.  That way it should reduce issues with unwanted code from executing.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Ok, so we just need to do the same "trick" with ours file managers and we will reduce the risk the same way. Good to know. Thank you.