Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange oriental text in window title bar (SOLVED)
I am running the LXQt desktop in Arch. I have strange text in the title-bars of all windows.

[Image: oriental_text.png]

If I right click on the title-bar the drop-down menu is in the same text.

I cannot find anywhere in "Preferences" to change it. Any ideas?

Richard
I changed every font setting I can find for LXQt settings and for Openbox settings. I still have the funny characters. Only in the title.bar. Nowhere else.

Richard
(08-16-2019, 11:49 PM)Richard Wrote: I changed every font setting I can find for LXQt settings and for Openbox settings. I still have the funny characters. Only in the title.bar. Nowhere else.

Richard

Maybe you are missing some fonts. You mentioned that you use arch: Try to install 'gnu-free-fonts', which contains a few fonts that definitely should cover basic unicode ranges.

Also: LXQt does not have its own window manager. Depending on what your distribution ships it with, it usually defaults to OpenBox and sometimes XFWM. Therefore it is possible that you have never actually changed the font of the window manager (which is responsible for the title bars). Try installing and using 'obconf-qt'.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
obconf-qt is already installed. When I go to the configuration window of OpenBox I am offered a variety of fonts. I have tried a number of Adobe fonts, and several others as well.

Richard
OK,

I did what Leon suggested and installed "gnu-free-fonts." Then I set the OpenBox setting for "active window title" font to "FreeSerif" and got real window titles.

For my education, and for any other readers here who are interested, why don't any of the 10 or 12 fonts, that are listed as choices in the OpenBox settings, work in OpenBox? They work fine in the settings controlled by LXQt, for instance, the drop-down menus, and the contents of the windows.

Richard
(08-17-2019, 12:12 PM)Richard Wrote: For my education, and for any other readers here who are interested, why don't any of the 10 or 12 fonts, that are listed as choices in the OpenBox settings, work in OpenBox? They work fine in the settings controlled by LXQt, for instance, the drop-down menus, and the contents of the windows.

Maybe openbox simply uses a different method to draw its fonts. There are quite a few available (XFT, Cairo, Pango, etc...).

(08-17-2019, 01:28 PM)leon.p Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 12:12 PM)Richard Wrote: For my education, and for any other readers here who are interested, why don't any of the 10 or 12 fonts, that are listed as choices in the OpenBox settings, work in OpenBox? They work fine in the settings controlled by LXQt, for instance, the drop-down menus, and the contents of the windows.

Maybe openbox simply uses a different method to draw its fonts. There are quite a few available (XFT, Cairo, Pango, etc...).

If it uses Pango, that could be a possible problem, as some recent update introduced some major changes that screwed up the system of a lot of Arch users according to the Arch Forums. Some users even refer to this as the 'pangopocalypse' Big Grin
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
(08-18-2019, 05:35 AM)TarsolyGer Wrote: If it uses Pango, that could be a possible problem, as some recent update introduced some major changes that screwed up the system of a lot of Arch users according to the Arch Forums. Some users even refer to this as the 'pangopocalypse' Big Grin

AFAIK, all the update did was removing support for bitmap fonts. Bitmap fonts are hideously outdated, but some Archers definitely did not like that as their quest for "minimalism" forces them to search for "bloat" in the most senseless places.

I highly doubt that a default intallation of LXQt on Arch uses any bitmap fonts.

Here is a post I found in gitlab that pertains to this:
  • Pango 1.44 and the removal of support for bitmap fonts

• Pango 1.44 just landed in Arch Linux. Applications that use Pango and that are configured to use bitmap fonts now only show rectangles instead of characters. This affects popular terminal emulator setups, because many people use fonts like Terminus in applications like GNOME Terminal. #384 (closed) might be related, too.
    There is a bug report in Arch Linux for this, but it only cites this blog post: It claims that the removal of support for bitmap fonts is intentional.
Richard
(08-18-2019, 01:02 PM)Richard Wrote: Applications that use Pango and that are configured to use bitmap fonts now only show rectangles instead of characters.

This is actually considerably different to your problem. The rectangles mentioned are just plain rectangles, but the rectangles from your problem had numbers in them, clearly indicating a unicode problem.