Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[semi-solved] Weird issues with home network... [caused by provider]
Ok so this is a weird issue.

Whenever I am using my mothers WiFi, I have connection issues with some applications.
What works is firefox, my mail client, RSS feed reader and the package manager.
The things that don't work include 'ping' and 'w3m' besides litteraly any other application.

At first I thought this was a DNS issue, because my mothers router includes a DNS server.
So for a time I was able to solve this problem by adding the routers IP into my list of DNS servers,
but recently this stopped working (I then removed it and also tried a few other DNS servers, but to no avail).

Using the command 'dig' I found out that DNS resolution works all the time, but I could still not ping any websites
(100% package loss).

I also tried disabling my firewall (ip-tables.service) but this also did not help.

Interestingly, when using tor, I can successfully get a connection ( 'torsocks w3m' works)...

This problem is quite weird, since I did not change lot about the NetworkManager configuration,
besides using a MAC-adress randomizer (I also tried to disable that)
and switching the resolution service to 'resolvconf' (Also tried changing that back).

This problem only ever happens in my mothers WiFi network (I tried resetting the router),
all other networks (even with similar hardware) work fine.

Are there any network guys that know what causes this?

Messages In This Thread
[semi-solved] Weird issues with home network... [caused by provider] - by leon.p - 10-31-2018, 05:36 PM
RE: Weird issues with home network... - by wheel - 10-31-2018, 05:49 PM
RE: Weird issues with home network... - by leon.p - 10-31-2018, 09:34 PM
RE: Weird issues with home network... - by wheel - 10-31-2018, 10:10 PM
RE: Weird issues with home network... - by leon.p - 10-31-2018, 11:20 PM