Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone interested in how to implement a private crypto storage container using a file
Question 
If you want to use your existing /home/user without any partition/file system changes, you can create a native dm-crypt+LUKS using a crypto storage container file in your existing home directory. The crypto storage container file acts like a virtual disk.  You would mount it only when you need it.  I use this method to store my financial records.

Anyone interested in how to implement a private crypto storage container using a file?  If you are interested, please reply.  If enough interest exist, a "how to" will be created and the discussion can continue.  
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.  (Linux Mint 19 XFCE)
Hi deck_luck, I'm definitely interested in seeing how to go through this! I've been learning about Linux for a few months now and coincidentally just recently started learning about encrypted storage.  I hope there's enough interest, but in any case thank you for kindness.

Cheers!
Add me to the list.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
Mmmh, too bad it doesn't seem to be a lot of interest. Just out of curiosity is this something that can be achieved with cryptsetup and luksFormat?
(05-21-2020, 08:53 AM)Yamlcase Wrote: Mmmh, too bad it doesn't seem to be a lot of interest. Just out of curiosity is this something that can be achieved with cryptsetup and luksFormat?

That may be due more to the lack of traffic here than a lack of interest. I hope deck_luck will go ahead and write it up anyway. I'm really curious to see what it will be all about. Also, articles like that may drive more traffic here.

He also could go ahead and write the article and post it on multiple forums, not just here, so his time will will not seem wasted.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
I've used VeraCrypt just for learning purposes ; wondering how that compares to your solution ?
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.3 , alts Arch ,Manjaro
follow STL , eznix ,distrotube
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
(05-21-2020, 08:53 AM)Yamlcase Wrote: Mmmh, too bad it doesn't seem to be a lot of interest. Just out of curiosity is this something that can be achieved with cryptsetup and luksFormat?

Using the cryptsetup program from the command line will create the (dm-crypt+LUKS) crypto device.

With the exception of a few terminal commands, my instructions primarily use GUI programs. I am attempting to be more user friendly by using GUI programs. I have a small PDF document with the instructions, and I would like some reviewers to provide feedback before posting it. If you would like to review it, please respond to my private message.

If anyone would like to review and provide feedback, please send a private message via EzeeTalk with your preferred email address.
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.  (Linux Mint 19 XFCE)
I've just replied via PM, I'd be more than happy to read through and provide some feedback to you. Thanks again for the help Smile